Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increasing Reading speed( RC and LR)

So about RC, the memory method is definitely helping my understanding of passages. Retention is better. I don’t get bogged down with every single detail. I’m currently working on “more RC;” which is the section just before “Intro to Logic Games”; so still lots of lessons to do before moving on PT's. My problem is I, for the most part still require more time than what JY prescribes; both for reading the passage and for doing the questions) Of course sometimes there are passages where I do finish in time. But on average maybe a minute or two more than what JY prescribes?

So I want to ask the veterans who had to deal with this reading speed issue- does it improve over time? How did you come to read faster? Can you retrace some of the steps you took that helped improve your speed?

From what I’ve gleaned, I’m aware of a couple things that should help.
1. Just having better developed reasoning skills (which I reckon and hope will come in time, by doing the lessons)

2. The habit of moving on quickly from one question to the next when you’re really sure of an answer and skipping ones you know that’s gonna be more time consuming.

Are there other things that should help? Thoughts? Advices?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @confusedandenthused said:
    the most part still require more time than what JY prescribes
    Think of that "prescription" as a goal. You should not be seriously thinking about any of this until you've finished the curriculum.

Chiiillllll ... You have a long and beautiful road ahead of you. One step at a time :)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Just having better developed reasoning skills (which I reckon and hope will come in time, by doing the lessons)
    Yes :D

The habit of moving on quickly from one question to the next when you’re really sure of an answer and skipping ones you know that’s gonna be more time consuming.
    Good habits to develop now!!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Unless English is not your first language and is fairly rusty, or you read well below 200 wpm then reading speed is just not the issue that you think it is. The passages simply are not long enough for actual reading speed to matter.

It's like driving a mile going 60 mph versus someone else going 50 mph. You're not going to have a big difference in arrival times. Now if instead you drive across the U.S. going 60 mph while someone else is going 50 mph well then you are going to arrive several hours ahead and that difference in speed will actually mean something. Reading speed operates in much the same way.
  • LRLang26LRLang26 Member
    14 karma
    Im in the same boat. LR and LG have clicked but RC is beast. I feel like it cannot be done. Im undecided on whether i should do kind of okay on 4 passages (skipping lots of questions) or slamdunking 3 (but probably still getting 1 or 2 wrong).