Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the PTs from Test 70 on different?

pennsylvaniavoterpennsylvaniavoter Free Trial Member
in General 14 karma
I keep hearing that LR questions are getting more pointed or trickier on tests 70+. Also I have heard some say there are similar differences in the other sections in tests 70+. Given that my PT 70 and PT 71 substantially lower than my scores on PTs numbered in the 60s I am worried that I am not ready for new trends that might be coming our way on Saturday or in February. Was down in all three sections. Are the 70+ PTs really different? If so how and what is a good strategy for coping given that there are only 7 of them and I've taken 2. Will appreciate everyone's input -- thanks!

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Chill out. If your PT scores are close to where you are shooting for then take the test on Saturday, if not, postpone now.

There's less conditional logic and more emphasis on other types of flaws, better trap ACs and subtler correct ACs in RC, and LG is pretty much the same as it ever was and it has mostly been people overhyping stuff that gets them anxious during the 70s that translates into the logical parts of their brain shutting down.

The LSAT is an arms race against the prep companies. As they emphasize one thing, the LSAT writers will shift away from it. But in the end, understanding the basics of logic and argument/reasoning structure will get you where you need to be.
  • pennsylvaniavoterpennsylvaniavoter Free Trial Member
    14 karma
    Thanks so much. :-) Was PTing very close to target score (+ or - only 2 points or so pretty much every time) through many of the 50s-60s tests then all of a sudden a 5 point and an 8 point drop on 70 and 71 respectively. Have been thinking maybe it was the 70s tests themselves although I felt OK while taking them, but then again maybe this was a result of taking PTs too close to a scheduled test date. ;-) Dropping 8 (or worse) on test day would be a total disaster for me but am not sure that if I postpone (again) I won't just spin my wheels. I know people say don't waste the take if you aren't 100% ready but then again there is perhaps some value in going through the whole process of an actual test day at least once even if score isn't as high as PTs were? If I do take it on Saturday am going to go ahead and register for February; probably no harm in taking it again even if I get targeted score or close this time; if I don't get the target then retake will be a must.
  • 2RARE2CARE2RARE2CARE Member
    edited December 2015 248 karma
    I think as time goes on, the tests do feel different. If you ever do a timed LR reason sections from the 20/30s and then one from the 50/60s, they are different. As Pacifico says, they definitely emphasize diff ? types in LR as time goes on, if you have complete mastery of all the question types, then it shouldn't matter too much. Nonetheless, I think it makes more sense and to delay for February if you already saw a drop in the 70s. They probably do take some adjusting too, in all reality. I mean, it's entirely possible to apply in February and get in with money if you are over your target schools Median by a few points... My boy applied in March 2011 and got into St.John's with half scholarship, (160) obviously this isn't representative, but just saying. (NON-URM also)
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    I personally find the newer LR easier
  • GhoorchGhoorch Alum Member
    57 karma
    @kennedybj I'm curious in what ways do you find them easier?
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    @Ghoorch for me it seems like the trap answers are more obvious and the other answers are extremely wrong, if that makes sense.