Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to address different levels of preparedness in different sections

pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
edited December 2015 in General 477 karma
Hello All, I just withdrew Dec and am really hoping to make it for Feb. I realized that my level of expertize is not the same for each section. For LR and LG I am working on better timing and getting my BR closer to my timed score. On RC I am working on strategy and will later work on time. Given that I was thinking maybe to do timed sections of LG and LR for various tests and save the RC for later ? Meanwhile practice strategy on pre-36 RC passages. Or are there any other ways to address this ?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    Given that I was thinking maybe to do timed sections of LG and LR for various tests and save the RC for later ?
    Well, I guess it depends on what "later" means :) It sounds like RC is the section you're struggling on—so I would actually not advocate saving it for later, unless you have some bad habits you're trying to shake? In LG, several of my bad habits just kinda died off after I took nearly 6 weeks off from the section. Not advocating that; but I think breaks can help get us out of ruts. I'd need more info on your situation to make specific recommendations.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    hmm I am working on internalizing the habits from the trainer right now, along with a tips you had suggested at hammertime . So I would not like to take timed RC until these habits are "second nature" to me .. since my feeling was I would be wasting the RC part of the test. I am working on RC with the passages in the Cambridge package to practice and then I think I want to add thse RC sections as the 5th section to tests I take later ?
    7965 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    So I would not like to take timed RC until these habits are "second nature" to me
    They will become second nature only with practice :)

As far as notation is concerned, retakes are excellent opportunities to get those skills ingrained mechanically.
    477 karma
    Thanks !! but the choice is not between practicing and not practicing , the choice is between timed vs untimed practice. Untimed with pre-36 RC passages, meanwhile timed practice for other sections
    7965 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    timed vs untimed practice
    Always timed!!
    7965 karma
    Don't waste materials at this stage in your prep by taking them untimed.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    I would do everything timed. It's helpful to be aware of how long things take you as you go. Ideally, timing things won't hurt you at all because after you give each early RC PT section a go, you'll have all the time in the world to blind review them and see how you would do with unlimited time.
    477 karma
    Thanks guys !!!!