Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sufficient Assumption

Martin01Martin01 Member
edited December 2015 in Logical Reasoning 343 karma
When I do the SA quizzes, I do exceptionally well. Actually, I have gotten all of the problems correct. However, when it comes to actually doing the SA problems on the test, I have a hard time transcribing the majority of the SA problems.

Can someone please give me advice on how to overcome this.

Very frustrated!!!
Admin note: Please don't post your title in all caps.

Comments

• kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    For me personally, I don't really transcribe assumption questions on the test. I just look for the gap.
    697 karma
    I'd just find the conclusion and the premises and then see what is missing
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited December 2015 6866 karma
    There is no magic advice. The mechanic of SA doesn't change from question to question. That means you're either (1) not understanding the words on the page, or (2) getting psyched out by test conditions. If you're getting them in practice, odds are it leans toward #2, but you must address both because they are intertwined factors (stress does funny things to your thought processes, and since you'll never be without stress you'd better learn how to catch yourself).

You need to understand what percentage of your struggles comes from each. Deal with the former by understanding what you failed to see and WHY it tripped you up ("oh, I should have seen that" does not constitute understanding), and deal with the latter by finding a way to not get so worked up while under test conditions.

@kennedybj "just find the conclusion and premises and then see what's missing" sounds an awful lot like "you can find the assumption by finding the assumption" :D
    697 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    sounds an awful lot like "you can find the assumption by finding the assumption" :D
    not exactly what I meant haha
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    "oh, I should have seen that" does not constitute understanding
    YES!