Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to template hypotheticals early (or not)

hlsat180hlsat180 Free Trial Member
edited December 2015 in Logic Games 362 karma
Given the LG section tests efficient use of time to accurately complete all four games within 35 minutes, what criteria do you use (if any) to determine when to template hypothetical diagrams (or not)?

An observation not judgement: JY in his videos tends to err toward mapping out possibilities early, which can recover time later on via more rapid answering of the questions. Equally important, the process tends to systemically reveal deeper inferences - absolutely critical to LG success.

On the other hand, there exists some point of negative returns on time invested. Too many hypotheticals take more time, can add clutter rather than clarity, and in the end not all were necessary. An alternative is to build hypotheticals "on the fly" specific to each question, and thereby build understanding along the way.

Clearly arguable trade-offs exist, but also for each LG (examined in hindsight) an optimal path. So my question to everyone (since we are not armed with hindsight) going into a new LG: What is your criteria and, most importantly, for each criterion what is your reasoning for doing so?

Comments

• Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Alum Member
    1762 karma
    Sometimes I look at the questions. If a good number are conditionals, then I go straight to the questions having made whatever inferences possible while diagramming. (But I don't go crazy trying to figure it all out). Also if there are not that many rules, like 3-4 rules, I just jump right in

If there are many MBT/MBF, that means I know I need to spend time making deductions and multiple worlds upfront.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    No hard and fast rules, you have to pick it up on feel more than anything. If there are more worlds than questions, maybe don't bother splitting up front. Conditional questions aren't always the best indicator because they might give you very little to go on so it can't always be relied upon to push you one way or the other. I'm going to be putting on a webinar on splitting in the near future so look out for that. In the end, whatever you do, don't get trapped in the quicksand.