Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking Preparation Advice

Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
in General 171 karma
Hello, 7Sage community.

I've lurked on these forums without posting for long enough. So here I am, humbly seeking advice from the wonderful 7Sage community. You'll have to forgive me, though, as brevity has, at times, eluded me. I suspect that this will be one of those instances, as I've not had anyone to reach out to in my LSAT preparation. Studying for the LSAT has been, thus far, a lonely endeavor.

After a few months of intense studying, typically pushing myself to study anywhere from 6 -- 10 hours a day for six or seven days a week, I burned myself out. In fact, I didn't know the extent to which I was burned out until I read Jonathan Wang's enlightening post on the subject. After some much needed reflection, I've realized that I had come to fear the LSAT, to fear failure--a mindset hardly conducive to effective learning and eventual mastery. So I took a few weeks off to clear my mind and reflect and meditate upon my fears and my mindset. I now feel ready to resume my studying, but I'm confused as to how to proceed.

You see, in the month leading up to my burnout, I, like many of you, became unsatisfied with the preparation materials that I had purchased from PowerScore (for LG and LR) and Manhattan LSAT (for LG). In my humble opinion, their preparation materials are lacking. Although I observed significant increases in my BR score over the last few months, unexpectedly observing a rise from a 157 (diagnostic) to ~170 (give or take a point) during BR, I always wondered whether or not I truly grasped the material and whether or not my methodology would translate on judgment day, during which all weaknesses are exposed. I wondered whether my increase was simply due to the enormous amount of time I spent with the LSAT or whether it was the result of their advocated methodology.

About halfway through my preparation, I stumbled across 7Sage's wonderful resources: the BR method, the LG videos, the articles penned (or typed, rather) by you wonderful individuals. As I increasingly supplemented my studying with 7Sage's methodology, I came to question all of the advice I had received from PowerScore and Manhattan LSAT. When I came across a suggestion that seemed odd for LGs in my other preparation material, JY's videos always seemed to offer a more sensible approach. I've come to trust the quality of 7Sage's resources and the individuals that maintain this growing community, and I'd like to implement 7Sage's curriculum into my preparation moving forward.

The thing is, I'm stuck. I've worked halfway through the PowerScore LR Bible and nearly all (I'd estimate 5/6) of the way through PowerScore's LG Bible and Manhattan's LG book, too. I've completed a number of RC sections and LR and LG questions (drilling specific question types) using the Cambridge PDF bundles. I've already completed nearly half of the material recommended by Pithypike on TLS. Thus, I wonder whether or not it'd be wise to begin 7Sage's curriculum at this point in my preparation. I do have the gift of time, which is undoubtedly a blessing. I'm lucky enough to be able to take the LSAT whenever I feel prepared enough to do so. My goal is, as everyone's should be, 180, and I won't take the LSAT until I'm scoring in the high 170s.

With that in mind, I ask how all of you wonderful individuals would approach integrating 7Sage's curriculum into my preparation moving forward. Would you simply integrate it and treat earlier sections, or those that I've completed in PowerScore and Manhattan LSAT, as "review"? Or would you start over, armed with an increased familiarity of the test, and learn to apply 7Sage's methods? (I suspect the latter to be more enriching, as I'm sure that the methods I'll learn in completing 7Sage's curriculum will be far superior to those that I've learned thus far and will require conscious and diligent application if I'm to master them.)

Also, I've read that many of you are supplementing the 7Sage curriculum with Mike Kim's The LSAT Trainer. I'm also wondering what materials are recommended for completing the course. I have the Cambridge PDF bundles of LSAT questions by type for 1 -- 38 and full-form tests from 38 -- 70. May I make use of these materials? Should I purchase Mike Kim's textbook if I'm to complete 7Sage's curriculum? I'm confused as to what materials I must have to complete the course.

To those of you that have read this incredibly long post, I truly thank you. If you've any input at all, I'd like to hear it. Thank you, again, 7Sage community.

Comments

• Keane XavierKeane Xavier Alum Member
    171 karma
    Also, I'm not sure whether or not I may post the names of other preparation companies in my posts. If I cannot, please let me know, and I'll edit my post to ensure that I'm operating within the forum parameters.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @keane.xavier said:
    Studying for the LSAT has been, thus far, a lonely endeavor.

@keane.xavier said:
    Thus, I wonder whether or not it'd be wise to begin 7Sage's curriculum at this point in my preparation. I do have the gift of time, which is undoubtedly a blessing. I'm lucky enough to be able to take the LSAT whenever I feel prepared enough to do so.
    Time is good. If I were you, I'd get 7sage (Ultimate and Ultimate+ give you the largest amount of time/months). Given that you've only used books thus far, a video course might bring opportunities to learn through previously untapped channels.
    @keane.xavier said:
    Or would you start over, armed with an increased familiarity of the test, and learn to apply 7Sage's methods?
    Sure, think of it as starting fresh. Just start with the beginning of 7sage. No one is harmed by double covering their bases or learning fundamentals from a new angle.
    @keane.xavier said:
    Also, I've read that many of you are supplementing the 7Sage curriculum with Mike Kim's The LSAT Trainer. [...] Should I purchase Mike Kim's textbook if I'm to complete 7Sage's curriculum?
    Sure—get The Trainer, too, particularly for the RC sections. I'd say you can leave the rest of the book for after you've finished 7sage. But Trainer RC is indispensable.
    @keane.xavier said:
    I'm also wondering what materials are recommended for completing the course. I have the Cambridge PDF bundles of LSAT questions by type for 1 -- 38 and full-form tests from 38 -- 70. May I make use of these materials?
    Those are good—you can drill from the 1-38 tests as needed/assigned by 7sage and then PT from the rest. You WILL need PT's 71-77 (once the lattermost comes out). Get those from Cambridge before they stop selling them (which will happen any day now).
    @keane.xavier said:
    I'm confused as to what materials I must have to complete the course.
    Sounds like you've got them all already!

You'll be fine. Godspeed. My advice is to tone that score goal down a bit and call it 175-180.
    7965 karma
    @keane.xavier said:
    Also, I'm not sure whether or not I may post the names of other preparation companies in my posts.
    Nah, no worries :D We talk trash around here all the time ;)
    171 karma
    Nicole,

I didn't expect such a quick response! The 7Sage community continues to amaze me.

Thank you for your recommendations--truly. (And your empathy!) You're absolutely right: no one has ever been harmed by more preparation. I plan to obtain the "Ultimate" curriculum and The LSAT Trainer this weekend. I'll prepare Monday as though I'm beginning my preparation over again.

I do have one other question, though. I've developed a data set already in my preparation. Am I able to enter the individual questions that I've completed in my preparation thus far into the 7Sage data tracker? If I'm able to, should I (so that I may track what I've already done and gauge any recommendations that the data tracker may have)?

If you've any more insight, as the posts you've made and the resources you've shared throughout this site are fantastic, feel free to share! I appreciate your advice, Nicole.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    I think we've all been through this. Blind review going nowhere. Blind review 180 but PT 160s. etc etc. From my own experience, I found it really helpful to slow down at these down times. What I mean by that is, do not rush to get through those questions but really take your time, think them through (without looking at explanations) and get them right.

Trainer was very helpful for me. Please read it sooner if you have not done so. Mike made a great point that you need to foster a good habit for this test. I didn't achieve it in the end but I hope you can succeed!
    7965 karma
    @keane.xavier said:
    I plan to obtain the "Ultimate" curriculum and The LSAT Trainer this weekend. I'll prepare Monday as though I'm beginning my preparation over again.

@keane.xavier said:
    I'll prepare Monday as though I'm beginning my preparation over again.
    Don't forget—what you've done before is not lost. You're just leveling up.

@keane.xavier said:
    I've developed a data set already in my preparation. Am I able to enter the individual questions that I've completed in my preparation thus far into the 7Sage data tracker?
    If they're full PT's, go for it. If they're just drills, keep them separate.

@keane.xavier said:
    If you've any more insight, as the posts you've made and the resources you've shared throughout this site are fantastic, feel free to share!
    :)
  • lsatingslsatings Alum Member
    349 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    @keane.xavier said:
    I'll prepare Monday as though I'm beginning my preparation over again.

Ditto what Nicole said! I had to switch between different study strategies/materials at crucial times and you haven't lost anything!

@mimimimi said:
    Mike made a great point that you need to foster a good habit for this test. I didn't achieve it in the end but I hope you can succeed!
    This was something I realized about 1.5 months ago, about developing good habits for this test both in terms of study habits and getting into the habit of instinctively using the strategies you've learned. I wish I had known this when I first started my studying. I'm at that point now where I know better, but I wish I had done this sooner.
    171 karma
    Thank you all!
    @mimimimi said:
    Please read it sooner if you have not done so. Mike made a great point that you need to foster a good habit for this test. I didn't achieve it in the end but I hope you can succeed!
    I look forward to beginning the Trainer! I think that this is a great point: I'm not sure that my methods thus far mirror or parallel what I'll be asked to do on the LSAT. Moving forward, I'll aim to develop proper habits and use test-appropriate methods.
    @lsatings said:
    This was something I realized about 1.5 months ago, about developing good habits for this test both in terms of study habits and getting into the habit of instinctively using the strategies you've learned. I wish I had known this when I first started my studying. I'm at that point now where I know better, but I wish I had done this sooner.
    I'll certainly heed this advice! I should be developing appropriate habits now; if I don't, they'll only hurt me later. I wish you the best on the LSAT!
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    I won't! Eventually, I hope to get to my final LSAT form.

Thank you all again--truly. I appreciate the advice. I've taken a few days off, and I'm rejuvenated. I'm excited to return to my studies.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    @keane.xavier said:
    I won't! Eventually, I hope to get to my final LSAT form.

Dragonball Z reference???
    171 karma
    @kennedybj said:
    Dragonball Z reference???
    Oh, you bet.