Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timing Problems with LR

haggler-1haggler-1 Alum Member
edited April 2014 in Logical Reasoning 12 karma
I seem to be struggling with timing on LR. I did a few untimed LR sections from the older lsats and I always get max 2 wrong. My scores drop significantly when timed. Not only do I rarely finish the section, but I am only getting 14-17 right. I feel this is whats holding me back from a high 150s/low 160s score that I am aiming for. I don't know what to do to improve this. Any help would be significant in my studies. Thanks.

Comments

• AlenaLSATAlenaLSAT Alum Member
    182 karma
    I have the same problem. However, I got much faster lately after having finished preptests 29-38. They were so difficult! This week I did a more recent preptest and the LR seemed like a piece of cake, and the LG as well. What I find useful is writing down strategies for attacking each question type and trying to memorize them. I have developed some of my own, which work for me. For instance, for Weakening Questions, I negate the conclusion and find the answer choice that supports that. I can see the correct answer choice much better like that.
  • haggler-1haggler-1 Alum Member
    12 karma
    thanks for your comments, weaken questions are my weakest type. I have tried that method and seen success. Thanks.
  • ArchiebootsArchieboots Alum Member
    155 karma
    Hi there - do you do questions in order for LR? I have found that by skipping some harder questions to concentrate on easy ones at first I save a lot of time.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Try writing out explanations for LR questions you get wrong. Explain them in theoretical terms, i.e. which flaw it is, etc... This should help you see the process and the familiar traps on future questions.
  • ONuellaOONuellaO Alum Member
    210 karma
    I agree with @archieboots. What works for me is that i skip the hardest ones and come back. For example i skip the harder NA questions and do the rest and come back to them. I find that my time is better managed that way. However, if you’re just starting out your timing process, blind review is your best friend, it shows you how you’re thinking timed and helps you correct that thinking. So maybe you should not fret just yet.