Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Determining conclusion from premise

I place a because after the statements of interest in the stimulus and the statement that makes sense with a because coming after it I deem to be the conclusion. Is this an ideal strategy for argument labeling and mp questions?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @adamphoto6 said:
    Is this an ideal strategy for argument labeling and mp questions?
    Is this ideal? That's a hard question to answer.

This sounds like one of several viable options/tools. If it works for you, great! Just like with any tool, they are typically not always EXACTLY what you need (screwdrivers are great but sometimes you need a hammer!)

I personally ask (of each statement): "Does this need support?" Meaning—can this statement be taken as fact on its own or does it require other statements/premises to support it?
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    If it works for you, then it's great. I place a "therefore" in front of the statements and see where it makes sense, and make that the conclusion. Of course, some of the conclusions are so subtle that you might not think to apply the "test" to those phrases - typically this happens when a lot of referential language is used, and the conclusion just looks like "but that is mistaken" or a similarly innocuous phrase.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    These and other methods are perfectly fine tools to get you comfortable with finding the conclusion, but for test day this needs to be a much more thoroughly developed skill, we often borrow the biomechanical term "muscle memory" to refer to the instinctive way that you can perform such tasks. You simply don't have time for utilizing cumbersome methodologies so eventually it will need to evolve into a more intuitive understanding so that you are recognizing conclusions immediately on sight without really consciously thinking about it.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    You simply don't have time for utilizing cumbersome methodologies
    This is some next-level sh*t !! And so true
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    but for test day this needs to be a much more thoroughly developed skill, we often borrow the biomechanical term "muscle memory" to refer to the instinctive way that you can perform such tasks.
    +10,000