Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Parallel Method of Reasoning Questions

RiemannZRiemannZ Alum Member
edited April 2014 in General 20 karma
I am ok on Parallel Method of Reasoning questions. But, I occasionally encounter those confusing PMRs. So, I am a little bit confused that are we paralleling "the form of the argument" or "the assumptions" of the argument in the stimulus. Some easy questions like "All A are B, not B, therefore not A" are obvious that the right answer present the exact contrapositive statement, while the wrong ones may involve inversion or conversion or existentials. But for less obvious PMRs, it confused me when the right answer's "physical structure" is so different from the originals. These confusing questions seem more like a principle questions in which we extract a generalized principle and apply to each answer choices.
So, could some explain to me what PMR really is. Thank you so much

Comments

• kelsienagelekelsienagele Free Trial Member
    edited July 2014 30 karma
    I would benefit from an explanation of this as well.
  • TeddyKGBTeddyKGB Alum Member
    112 karma
    In Parallel questions you're matching the technique/method used by the author. They're tough because, as Riemann mentioned, the physical order of the technique can change in the correct answer.

For example:

Stimulus layout: P, SC, P, MC
    Correct answer: MC, P, SC, P

These questions require a firm grasp on argument structure/how the premises support the conclusion.

Some things I think help find the right answer/eliminate wrongs:

- If the stimulus contains an argument with two people discussing two things, then the correct answer must have the 2 + 2 form.

- If the stimulus uses absolute numbers as evidence, then so must the correct answer. (Vice versa with percentages.)

- REALLY IMPORTANT is how the author uses qualifiers such as some, most, none and all. Very often incorrect answer choices are very attractive because it will fit the form but swap one of the qualifiers for another (thereby making the premise/conclusion stronger/weaker than the original). A quick method of ruling out wrongs I use is to pay close attention to the author's conclusion. If the conclusion says "therefore, SOME 'things' are 'X'", I'll scan the 5 answer choice conclusions that don't use "some" (or the similar) and eliminate them quickly. This can also be used to analyze the premises.

I hope this helps.