Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Key info in Background information

in General 126 karma
I find myself getting answers incorrect because of key information in a stimulus's background info.I usually underline the conclusion and bracket the premises/support, but then i'll get an answer incorrect because the background info had something important. How do I fix this problem? The Trainer teaches us to not worry about Background and only focus on the relationship between premise and conclusion, but then something like this happens.

Comments

• sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    320 karma
    I am not an expert like others here so i could be wrong. Have you analysed in which type of questions this tends to happen? Is it one type or more than one?
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @LSATConspiracy said:
    The Trainer teaches us to not worry about Background and only focus on the relationship between premise and conclusion,
    I’m afraid you’ve misread the Trainer. I don’t believe it ever tells you to not worry about the background information, especially in LR (I could be wrong, and I’d happily welcome a page citation on this). While it is certainly important to label the different parts of the argument, many times premises and conclusions refer back to the context. 7Sage has a great section in their curriculum to help identify these referential phrases. It might be worth it to you to get the Starter package as so many LR and RC questions use it to obfuscate. And don’t worry, I and many others on here have found 7sage very compatible with LSAT Trainer. Good luck!
  • mc_meattmc_meatt Alum Member
    123 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor. Had a question. When you said "referential phrases," are you talking about words like "but" or words like "that, those"?
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @mc_meatt I’m talking about words that refer back to other words or phrases. Pronouns are referential phrases, but so are words like “former”, “latter”, “such”, and “do so”, to name a few.