Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got same LSAT score three times.

justrandomjustrandom Alum Member
in General 343 karma
Not only is this extremely embarrassing but the worst part is that I really felt I had improved. I wouldn't mind if it was a high score but I got a 156 three times. Now I'm worried because this looks worse than if I would have taken it just one or two times. Should I add an addendum to my application? I am a URM and have close to a 3.97 GPA and good softs. However, I realize that does not make up for my lackluster score. Now the admissions committee for each respective school will have a reminder of this 3 times. I've never been good with standardized exams. For undergrad I applied to a full tuition scholarship and due to my SAT score was initially not accepted. However, the program director liked me so much that he saved me a seat and told me to retake the SAT to try to meet the cutoff bar they had set. I retook and met it and was then offered admission. I got the full ride and while in college I was able to graduate with the second highest GPA in that honors/scholarship program. I explain this to highlight the difficulties I have had with standardize exams and at least in undergrad, did not reflect the ability I had to excel . With this in mind, I realize that law schools will most likely see that as an "excuse" as LSAT does offer some fair representation of how I will perform and wanted your opinion on whether or not to add an addendum regarding my LSAT score or just let it be. I'm also not sure whether I should apply for some of the top law schools, now with my last LSAT score. :(

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Some schools specifically ask or provide space for you to provide explanations for low GPA/LSAT and other issues they might find in your transcripts. Even if you don't see those prompts, I would still write a very short (one paragraph) addendum basically stating what you have here in a more concise manner. Emphasize that you do not believe your LSAT score is properly reflective of your ability to succeed in law school and briefly point out your UG track record in spite of having issues with the SAT.

Given your near perfect GPA and URM status I would not really shy away from applying anywhere. Sure you're very likely not getting HYS with that LSAT but even Columbia is WL'ing candidates like you. I'm not saying it's going to happen but I think you'd be very surprised at how well you would do in the T14, especially if your softs are as good as you think they are. Schools like Berkeley that love GPA and are reverse splitter friendly are very good choices I would say.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    I don't find your college scholarship case a strenghener for your argument that you are not good at standardized tests. In fact I don't think that you are not good at standardized tests is worth mentioning at all.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2016 8021 karma
    @mimimimi said:
    In fact I don't think that you are not good at standardized tests is worth mentioning at all.
    It's the whole crux of the argument. @justrandom is trying to show that he or she is an individual that is more than capable of academic excellence in spite of the results of standardized tests. If one is writing an addendum about a standardized test for this reason then that involves talking about how they do not accurately reflect one's capabilities. There is no effective way to write a triple identical score LSAT addendum that does not address this fact and schools will likely appreciate the candor.
  • mimimimimimimimi Free Trial Member
    368 karma
    @Pacifico My point is that undergrad scholarship and GPA are already included in the application and being considered. To restate facts is redundancy not addendum.