Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going from little time to too much time!

nantesorkestarnantesorkestar Alum Member
edited January 2016 in June 2016 LSAT 431 karma
Hey guys,

I am planning for the June test and just started the Ultimate course. I moved back home to dedicate full time to the LSAT and have almost no obligations for the next 5 months. Back when I studied in late 2015 for October/December, I took an expensive prep course where I crammed in 8-10 hours a day (bad idea) hoping to do well in 2 months. Now that I started 7sage and embraced the method of taking your time, I realize I have too much time!

Other than following a strict schedule, which gives me about a month of the fundamentals, what else should I utilize? I would love to do problem sets here and there from PT 1-35 but I know the questions are also used by JY in the beginning of the course. Obviously, 36-76 will be for PT and BR only.

I guess my feeling is that I won't be motivated enough to stick to 2 hours a day when I am used to much more. I already plan on reviewing lessons such as Grammar (concepts never taught in my last prep) but I would prefer to hit about 30-40 hours a week to maximize my potential.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• bbutlerbbutler Inactive ⭐
    401 karma
    Honestly I did a similar thing where I thought 3 months was enough time and then came to 7sage and rushed through the curriculum to try and make my deadline of taking the October LSAT and it was the worst thing I could have done. When I was on my old schedule I was doing 8-10 hours a day but in doing so I was burning out and wasn't retaining anything at all. I find that it's not necessarily the quantity of time you spend but the quality of time that you spend. Now I try to shoot for 3-5 hours a day, split up into 2 separate sessions, 6 days a week and I find that that works for me. But really the amount of hours that you spend in my mind doesn't even remotely compare to the way you're studying.

Do you write out notes for each lesson or type them out? Do you recite some of the things JY says in each lesson? Do you go back and mentally review so you can piece together how some of the different LR question types fit together? Can you give the 60 second elevator pitch for each "chapter"? My "loose" goal for each lesson is that when I'm done with it I feel comfortable enough where on that lesson I could explain it to someone who is just starting off on the LSAT. By my estimation if I can do that, I've learned it and understood it. Now some of that may seem like overkill for you but it can really help test if you really know the material. For example, today/yesterday with Validity & Must Be True it took me 7 hours to get through that lesson when it said 58 minutes on screen. Granted I typed up notes and posted them but I read the information, typed up notes, watched the video, typed up any more notes and then re-taught the lesson in my own words out loud. For the earlier lessons don't take a shortcut, diagram everything out, for Strengthen and Weaken questions do both what is needed to Strengthen the argument and Weaken the argument. Type out why answer choices are wrong and orally be able to explain why they're wrong on all of the questions. Also check out some of the webinars or recordings on here they definitely will give you a different perspective. Or join the June BR group, I'm still in my prep but I'm going to try and at least sit in on a few of the tests in the 70's since I know I'm going to retake them later when I fully finish the curriculum this time around. All of this makes it a lot more, dare I say fun, to study for this test, and allows you to study with like minded people which definitely helps. Hope this helps and happy studying!