Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Point at which professional references become something of a must

danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 4181 karma
I currently have three (of what I would presume to be solid) academic references, all from professors. I have been out of school and working at my current job for just under two years. I plan on applying during the next cycle, so I will have hopefully been at my job for just over three years. With this gap between schooling and my personal statement centering around my job, should I shoot for a professional reference? If so, is four total references (usually the max allowed, it seems) obnoxious?

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited January 2016 2481 karma
    Most schools suggest 2 references, but would accept 3. I feel that 4 would definitely be more of a negative than a positive - admissions officers don't like to read more than they need, and they might wonder whether you felt the need to go for quantity because you weren't sure of the quality of the letters. Three years out of school is still close enough that 2 strong letters of reference from faculty would be sufficient. Remember, they care more about your academic potential than about other "soft" skills that would be more relevant in a work environment, and professors are most likely to be able to speak to this. You're not likely to be THAT different of a person now than you were 3 years ago that an employer would provide a more valuable perspective on your academic potential than a professor. If you think you can get 2 solid letters from faculty who actually remember you well, and can give a few examples of your qualities, I'd go with that.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    There's no real set point in time at which you ever need professional references, rather it is all about who can write you an excellent LOR. Even though I'm 10 years out of undergrad I am still friends with some professors that I could have asked for LORs. However, I had a sub 3.0 GPA in UG versus a 4.0 in my Master's program that I just finished so I leaned on those professors since my performance was at a much higher level and more indicative of my current skills, motivation and dedication to my education. I added a work LOR from a former commander because I knew he would write me an amazing letter, but if I didn't have someone like that I would have been fine just using the academic ones. But having a good 2/1 balance is a good idea for someone with 10+ years of WE. In your case I would lean more heavily on the academic ones simply because you're so recently out of UG.

In the end, it's all about excellent LORs. That means quality over quantity. However, if you have four academic LORs that you have reason to believe will all be awesome then I would either submit all four, or save one to help you get in off of a WL down the road. Keeping that extra LOR in your back pocket can be a great way to work the WL since you can send it separate from a LOCI and give the school another reason to peruse your file and if you don't have any inside information in terms of waves of WL admits then it improves your chances to catch them at the right time.

• danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    Thank you both. And I didn't think about keeping an LOR for potential wait lists. If I decide to pursue a professional LOR at all, maybe I'll use it for that. But I'm quite convinced I'll be just fine with my three academic LORs. Thanks again!