Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting your head in the game (Post-Holiday Slump)

hazelnut13hazelnut13 Alum Member
in General 244 karma
Hey guys,

I've been having a hard time focusing after the Holidays and wanted to ask 7sagers what they do to keep focused and positive.

I know you guys have some tips so let's hear'em!

Comments

• Artwork94Artwork94 Free Trial Member
    140 karma
    exercise frequently to clear the mind :)
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @hazelnut13 said:
    what they do to keep focused and positive
    Keep your eye on the prize. Motivation and drive can wane from time to time, but as long as you have a concrete "why" regarding why it is you are doing this and never lose track of that "why", you will stay on track and keep moving forward. If you don't have a "why", you better find one quick.
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    It probably depends on your circumstances, and what else you have going on in your life that's affecting your motivation and positivity.
    Some people like to focus on the very long term - this is one step toward their goal of practicing law, and visualizing themselves as lawyers provides all the motivation they need.
    Some people focus on what a high score can afford them shorter term - higher ranked school, better job prospects, more scholarship money and less debt. Imagining yourself receiving that acceptance letter or that scholarship package can also be intensely motivating. I've occasionally found myself looking up public transit options for my dream school and plotting my commute there, and that reminded me I needed to work hard to make it happen.
    Then again, some would find the above stressful rather than motivating - so much riding on one score, such a high chance of failure - those people should probably focus on learning and improving, rather than test day and all that rides on it.
    I'm probably in a minority, but I'm sure I'm not alone. For the time being, LSAT studying is my (weird) hobby - it's the one thing out of my day that I'm doing for myself, not for anybody else. I'd rather do an LG problem set than a laundry load, thank you very much...
    Like a lot of hobbies, it's challenging but not impossible. Like a lot of "brain hobbies" (Sudoku, chess, crossword puzzles) it uses my mind in a different way than anything else I do. I get to hang out (virtually) with like-minded people. I'll probably experience withdrawal when it's all done.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Why are you having a hard time focusing?
    I've found that if it ever gets to the point where you just can't stand looking at another LSAT question, and you are really forcing yourself to study, it's best to take a day or two off. Heck, if it isn't going to mess with your schedule too much, take a week off. You may come back refreshed and eager to study.
    Short, and somewhat interesting story: Last month I decided to take 3 days off. That's 3 days without looking at a single LSAT question! Boy was I excited - mind you, I had gone 4 months straight, 13 hours a day, 7 days a week, without a break. During my 3 days off, I visited friends and family, went out, etc. Unfortunately, the LSAT haunted me. I couldn't keep myself from analyzing people's arguments and finding the flaws in what they were saying. However, applying the logic that they want us to use on the LSAT to real life examples, first hand, made understanding this logic much easier. Now it's easier for me to see the flaw(s) in an argument.
  • hazelnut13hazelnut13 Alum Member
    244 karma
    Thanks for your comments everyone!
    @MrSamIam said:
    Why are you having a hard time focusing?
    I guess it's just hard working a full-time job that is mentally stimulating and then coming home to an even more mentally stimulating exercise. No complaints, though, I'm definitely happy to have a job.

@runiggyrun Thanks for your comment! I guess I'm more of a short-term person. For me, the long-term goal stays the same: be an attorney. However, I feel like the short-term goal really relies on how much work I put into the LSAT. Better score, better school, better aid. I want to make sure I put myself into the best position possible. I can identify on what you said about the LSAT exercising a different part of your brain. It feels a little weird, but it's a good feeling!

@"GSU Hopeful" Thanks! The gain is definitely worth the pain. Gotta remember that!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @hazelnut13 Hang in there. I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but it'll be worth it. Those few extra points that you'll likely gain on the LSAT because you decided to push through may end up being the reason you get into a top school.

I was in a similar situation. I spoke to my boss and asked for less hours for a month. He agreed. I can't say yours would do the same. I was fortunate enough to have my hours reduced, and was told that I could "get them back" (my hours) at any time.

Don't forget that it's equally as important to rest your noggin. If you have to, and can afford to push the LSAT, then do so. Especially if it means not feeling rushed and anxious.