Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increased my LR using this strategy today.

E.T.90066-1E.T.90066-1 Alum Member
edited April 2014 in General 377 karma
Hello fellow LSAT warriors!
I began to notice that I got really good at LR but my confidence was not reflecting during timed conditions. Today I took two LR sections from PT 47 using two different strategies. The first, I took my time with each question until I was very sure, rarely skipping! I only got 14 our of 26 correct!!!! I attempted 19 Questions.

In the second LR I tried to be very fast. I read the stimulus, and once I saw what I thought was the right answer I quickly moved on(this was very hard for me because there is always that voice in the back saying what if you mis read, this feels to easy). Second, If a question seemed to convoluted or complex, I skipped, even if it was a question in the first 10 Q. In this section I got 19 out of 26!!! I attempted 20 questions. I got lucky once!

In summary I think moving fast, in the sense that you quickly pick you answer, and if you hesitate ask your self if this is a question that you can understand in the next minute, if not pick you best answer and move, if yes, re read the stimulus briefly and make the best choice!

What do you all think? I think my mistake was doubting my self and that was causing valuable time spent in a questing that I was still going to get wrong!

Comments

• fiorella.sofiafiorella.sofia Alum Member
    9 karma
    Well, it seems like that strategy is much better for you! Though, just to make sure, you should do more sections in that style. :)

I've also been focusing on LR and was wondering if there was a good strategy to use. I often find myself taking wayyyyy too long on the first questions (especially if one of the first 5 trips me up, I just cannot seem to make myself leave it alone!) and can never get to the last 8.

I've been wondering if skipping the types I'm not good at and trying to immediately find the types I know I am comfortable with would be beneficial instead of going in order.

I guess it's all a trial and error kind of thing.

Anyways, good luck in your studying!
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    It seems like you're applying some sort of cadence strategy. I guess that could prove to be helpful if your ability to intuit the correct answer choice is usually done at first glance. But by no means would I utilize that as a primary strategy. Remember, intuition is something that we develop through learning. We want to make sure that we have the right gut feeling on test day. :)
  • ONuellaOONuellaO Alum Member
    210 karma
    LR was my middle section and i found that the latter approach you used @E.T.90066-1 worked best for me.. and i did LR over and over and found that i was just naturally fast from 1 to 10 finishing in 10 mins and the faster i went the more questions i completed. I use to do it slow too to make sure my answers were correct and i would only attempt 18 questions but now i get to at least 20 and most 24 and get 17 to 21 correct, i should work on skipping convoluted stimulus ones though, might get faster that way. I also find that if i skip a question and come back to it, it makes better sense the second time.
    So you are not alone on that!