Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Didn't take a diagnostic

klyonsklyons Free Trial Member
in General 11 karma
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. I didn't take a diagnostic at the beginning of my prep and am now wishing I did just to have some sort of number in my head. I have been doing very light prep and really only worked on basic sequencing logic games, so I'm wondering if I still should? My concern is that this limited prep will inflate my diagnostic somewhat and I would like to have it be sort of a raw score. Part of me says screw it and keep prepping and achieve numbers once I start PT's, but part of me wants to know. What do you think I should do? Thanks!

Comments

• 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    932 karma
    Diagnostics are mostly irrelevant... Just finish the entire course, drill and perform on pts
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Hi @klyons If, as you say, you'd like to have some number in your head, even if slightly inflated, then take a diagnostic now. Good luck!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2016 2086 karma
    The entire point of a diagnostic is to tell you where you currently stand. Taking one now that you've studied a bit would still be highly beneficial. Just because you have been studying, does not mean that there is nothing that you'll need to improve on.
    Take the diagnostic (although, at this point it wouldn't really be called a "diagnostic" - but, never mind that...it's not important). See how you do, and focus on the areas where you are lacking.

For instance, let's say that although you have been studying, your diagnostic reveals that you didn't do so well in RC. Well, great, now you know that when you run into the RC section in the course, you should pay extra attention.

In any case, take a practice test to see where you currently stand. One byproduct of taking a PT early on is that nice little motivation boost that you get when you realize that your score has increased by X amount of points. That's one of the things that keeps me going.

TL;DR: DO IT!!!
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    Go for it - there's value in knowing where you stand and what's likely to be the biggest struggle for you. Worst case scenario you'll have a less impressive improvement story than if you had taken it cold. But as they say, it's not about where you start, it's where you finish.
    Just don't do one of the new PT's as a diagnostic like I did. I think most take the June 07 test.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @klyons said:
    My concern is that this limited prep will inflate my diagnostic somewhat and I would like to have it be sort of a raw score.
    Go ahead and take one like other people have stated.

The main reason for a diagnostic is to really let you see what you are up against. When you do a true diagnostic, you doing it timed so maybe you do have the skills to complete the test and get wiped out by the clock, maybe you have no understanding but get through more questions. The score really does not have any indication of where you will end up. It can give you an idea of how you're "already programmed" for a test like this.

Some people have 18-20 point increases over a diagnostic, some only have 5, it all depends on the work you put in after that first test.