Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Future experience and references on resume

publius enemypublius enemy Member
edited April 2016 in Law School Admissions 5 karma
Should "future" experience (for example, experience during the summer between application submission (Sept/Dec) and the start of the fall semester) be included on resumes? If so, how should it be listed?

Also, I volunteered with an organization that monitored sea turtle nests during nesting season (May - Oct) on weekends and school breaks -- what would be the most comprehensive way to date this experience?

Should references be included on resumes? Although some schools allow resumes up to two pages, the personal statement add on course to stick to one (references are currently on a second page). Also, the section titled "What to Cut" includes the phrase "references available upon request", which gives me the feeling I should not include references at all on my resume. Are recommenders on LSAC considered to be the same as references on a resume?

Thanks!

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    I'm afraid the answers would be no and no.
    Unlike a hiring manager, the adcom won't be contacting your references to inquire about your qualities as a potential student. They will rely on the recommendations provided. And there's no need to waste space including your recommendation providers in your resume - they will see where the recommendations came from.

I also wouldn't include "future" experience, since that's not experience you actually have. What if you break your neck right after submitting your application and you're immobilized in the hospital for 3 months? Or in a less gruesome scenario, you find an even more awesome experience to pursue instead?
    If the experience is really that game changing, you can always provide an updated resume once you've actually acquired it.