Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with organzing my studying

jdieckjdieck Free Trial Member
edited March 2016 in General 5 karma
Hi,

I started studying in October with the hopes of taking the February test. My initial plan was to go through my books (MLR, MRC, PSLG, PSLR, and LSAT Trainer), drill untimed all of the Cambridge LG packets (1-38), drill untimed some of the Cambridge LR (1-38), practice full sections RC timed and blind review, then move on to timed sections with BR, starting with tests 39-44, and then full PTs with BR for the rest of my study period. I took too long, however, going through my books, which pushed back my Cambridge LG packets, which pushed back everything else, etc. I decided mid-way through December to take a break and start up at the beginning of January in hopes of taking the June test.

It is now the end of March and I have gone through each LG type in the Cambridge packets (I left a game or two in each type for later practice) and a good chunk of the Cambridge LR packets (I didn't want to go through it all in order to save some for later practice). For the LG Cambridge packets I timed myself using a count up timer just to take note of my progress. I definitely feel more confident with LGs but not where I would like to be. Some games take me from 5min on the first try to 20min on the first try. Some games I go through quickly and get (-0) or (-1) , some take longer with worse results. I have not timed myself for the LR Cambridge packets, as I was going for accuracy and not time, but I did take the two LR sections of PT 39 untimed the other day and got a (-2), so I feel confident transitioning to timed sections.

Essentially I feel confident starting timed sections with LR and will start using PT 40-44 for timed sections. For LG games, however, I plan to hold off using the sections of the tests I have not seen (39-77) and just going through LG sections of PT 1-38 timed in order to keep practicing, but now with time added. Yes, I know I have seen them and my score won't be representative of my actual ability, but I need to keep drilling LG as I am not where I would like to be. I am doing it less for seeing my score and more for practice.

As for RC, I plan to start going through PTs 1-38 RC sections timed and then BR-ing.

Does this sound like a good plan? Should I have approached my studying differently? I'm debating delaying to September. Should I delay? What should I change in my approach? I typically study 2-3 hours a day with 4 hours on Saturday.

Thank you.

P.S.: If it's of any help, I scored a 152 on my first and only PT way back in October.
-11 RC
-14 LR
-18 LG (I only attempted the first game in this section, as I only knew how to do basic linear games at the time. I Christmas treed the rest.)

Comments

• allison.gill.sanfordallison.gill.sanford Alum Inactive Sage
    1128 karma
    Hey jdieck,
    So the primary way I improved on LG was by watching JY's videos on how to solve, solving the game his way, and then returning to it later to see if I could remember the inferences. I would do this over and over for each practice game (all games from PTs 1-35), and repeat the process until I was solving games at or under JY's target time. This is commonly known as fool proofing the logic games.
    Have you watched the videos or used a similar strategy?
    One issue with the Cambridge bundles is that they give you the games grouped by type. But this is artificial; the real test will not tell you what type of game you are about to solve, nor will you have to do several of the same type in a section (usually). As you get further in your prep, you will want to develop the skills to attack games when you don't know what is coming, and the dexterity to move between difference game types fluidly.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    @jdieck said:
    I took too long, however, going through my books
    No you didn’t. Your initial estimation of how long it would take was wrong. One thing you’ll see over and over again at 7Sage is that prepping takes as long as it takes. When you pick a test date and try and conform your studying to that date, you inevitably fail to master the fundamentals as you inevitably fall behind schedule. Study at your natural pace, and when you are ready to take the test, then set the date. I would definitely hold off on June. For June, you really want to already be fairly deep into the PT/BR phase by now.

That being said, your basic study structure seems pretty good. And definitely repeat your games! Over and over and over again! You learn so much from retaking games. Retake them until you’ve absolutely mastered them. Also, you are right to preserve the later tests for timed PTs until you’re ready for the test as a whole. Wasting PTs before you’re comfortable with the fundamentals is one of the worst things you can do.

And now for the inevitable 7Sage sales pitch! Sorry. I started studying for the LSAT about a year ago now using some of the prep materials you’re using. I really feel like I’ve learned more in the last 2 - 3 months since I really got active with 7Sage than I did in all the months prior combined. I’m only just beginning to PT, but the three tests I’ve taken after going through the 7Sage curriculum have been 7 points higher than my average from before. Plus, it’s a great community of people.

Anyway, best of luck!