Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

valid arguments

esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
in General 382 karma
I am looking to find a place on 7sage (preferably a pdf document) that has all of the 9 valid argument forms written out. Is there a pdf of these? Thanks!

Comments

• esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    Thank you!! I forgot to star them.. Thanks for the help.
  • quinnxzhangquinnxzhang Member
    edited May 2016 611 karma
    Argument form 6 is INVALID. If there are no turtles and if nothing is named after Italian artists, then both premises are true and the conclusion false.

In order for number 6 to be valid, you would need an additional premise: there are some turtles. Maybe this is an innocuous assumption for LSAT purposes, but in the interest of correctness, I think 7sage should at least footnote this. I firmly believe that the logic taught in LSAT courses shouldn't directly contradict the classical logic textbooks informing the logic used on the actual exam.
  • apublicdisplayapublicdisplay Alum Member
    696 karma
    Agreed with @quinnxzhang I've always learned that to take A –> B and A –> C and draw the conclusion B some C, you must assume that there is at least 1 member in A. However, I can't say entirely why the assumption of at least 1 is used for this example and not for other conditional statements.