Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Blind Review helpful?

emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
in General 234 karma
I have been doing Blind Review and I understand it helps to figure out the correct answers on your own before looking at the answers but why is it helpful in general? My actual scores vs my blind review scores are so different. My BR falls in the 167 range while my actual score is in the 150s. BR is not an accurate view of what you can accomplish on the LSAT is it?

Comments

• Ron SwansonRon Swanson Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    1650 karma
    BR scores are helpful because it is a reflection of your theoretical understanding of the material/ability on the LSAT. BR is under untimed conditions, so look at it as your max based on where you're at in the moment.

It's helpful because you have the ability to analyze the questions and fully understand why certain answers are right and all of the other are wrong. You also have the ability to completely break down the question stem and stimulus. A lot of times under timed conditions you fly by the seat of your pants and not absorb what is actually happening on a nuanced level. BR is your opportunity to train your brain to notice those nuances that you would typically miss under timed conditions
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    @"Ron Swanson" pretty much covered it. You BR score is your theoretical max. So take your time to really make sure you understand each question to make sure your potential is as high as possible. Then work towards closing the gap between your timed and BR score.

The more time you spend digging in to the questions that slow you down/cost you points, the more prepared you will be for similar questions in the future.

It's not only a great diagnostic of your potential, but the inherent value of a thorough and deep review of challenging questions is much more important, because it's one of the best things you can do towards actually reaching that potential.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    My boys @"Ron Swanson" and @"Cant Get Right" got it covered. I second what they say.
  • LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
    1024 karma
    "Missing problems you know you had trouble with isn't a problem. Missing problems you think you got right is." The scariest/worst thing that can happen is not knowing what you don't know, BR takes care of that.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    It helps solidify your understanding of the concepts covered in the curriculum. Moreover, it helps you understand what your weaknesses are. When you grade a PT and review, your reviewing with a "bias." Doing so makes it more difficult to think critically about your mistakes and your reasoning.
    When you BR, you're forcing yourself to think critically and second guess yourself. With a non-BR review, you're likely to approach an incorrect answer like so, "Ah, so B is wrong, and E is right...okay I can see why that is." However, with BR, you're likely to approach like this, "Okay, why did I circle this one? What is it about B that I didn't like? How about A, C, D, and E?"
    In essence, BR forces you to REALLY learn from your mistakes, whereas non-BR review simply tells you where you made those mistakes.
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    All of what was said above, but I can not express how important it is to build the skill of knowing when to skip as well.

BR is an excellent tool to help sharpen that skill. If you keep missing a certian type or theme of question, you will see that over and over again when you BR. You will be able to see the questions that made you pause and ate away your time.

You will quickly learn to spot them and say SEE YA and skip them without guilt. BR is the main way to be able to gain that important tool.
  • emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
    234 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" My BR score isn't the max I can get on the lsat with more studying correct? I am shooting for a 170 but currently am scoring in the mid 160s ranges on my BR missing about 4-5 each section. I take it in September and have been studying for the past 3 and a half months.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    Your BR score is only your max for that take. Your BR scores will improve as your understanding of the material improves, so don't worry about that!