Postponing - How much damage did I do?

LSAT StudentLSAT Student Alum Member
in General 156 karma
Long story short, I started studying May 16th for the September LSAT. I went through the core curriculum (probably a little to fast) and have taken 10 PT's. I've now realized I am not where I want to be and September is just not going to happen for me. I know I need to go back through the CC (especially the lawgic stuff). I've posted here before and you all told me not to waste a take and especially not to waste a 4.0 GPA. My diagnostic was a 151 with -18 on LG. My average on these 10 tests was a 163 with BR in the 170's so I'm hopeful going back through the curriculum and refocusing myself without the stress of taking the test in September can help me increase my score 7-10 points. Now my question is this: I took tests 37-48 so how much damage did I do to myself? I still have 30 clean PT's that won't be touched until I feel I am ready again. I feel so relieved that I made this decision, thank you all for being a positive support group and giving great advice.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATstudent

Absolutely wonderful decision not wasting such a literally perfect GPA :) Congrats! With a 170+ you have the chance to write your ticket to any law school you'd like :)

I had almost the same exact problem and then decided to postpone. I don't think you've done much damage at all. You still have 30 tests and that gives you a very good amount at your disposal. Damage done is minimal. I'd say to eventually retake those tests you've already done. I still think you can learn a whole bunch for retaking PTS you've already done.
  • LSAT StudentLSAT Student Alum Member
    156 karma
    @"Alex Divine"
    Thanks for the reply. It was a tough decision but I know I won't be ready. This test has a rough way of letting you know. I'm thinking going back through the CC emphasizing areas of weakness that have been illuminated by the analytics system. Anything else you would suggest?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATstudent Of course, always happy to help those on the same journey I'm on :)

It is a really tough decision, I actually just decided less than a week ago to postpone myself! And the test was definitely letting me know that I am not close to the 170s yet...

I think going back through the CC and focusing on areas of weakness is a great idea. Aside from that, I would just say to be patient. Some days, you'll have breakthroughs, some days you won't, but patience and consistency are key. Also, something that really helped me was learning how to skip questions. I know it sounds painfully obvious, but for some reason on tests I always forget to actually implement skipping strategies. There's a really good Webinar on it too: https://7sage.com/webinar/skip-it/

That helped me go from -6 to like -3 overnight. Because this way I was able to save a bunch of time for the harder questions.

Overall, I think you have the right idea and all you needed was to eliminate the stress of a test date looming when you weren't going to be 100% ready.

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    30 fresh PTs, postponed test for a better score, being a 7sager, I'd say you're doing pretty swell. :)
    11542 karma
    @"LSAT Student" said:
    I'm thinking going back through the CC emphasizing areas of weakness that have been illuminated by the analytics system. Anything else you would suggest?
    Good idea..make sure you're 100% understanding of the material before using PTs! you should be solid.
    156 karma
    You guys are great! Thanks for helping me reaffirm I am doing the right thing!

@"Alex Divine"
    Thanks for linking me that webinar! I haven't really watched any of them. Any others you suggest?
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited July 2016 23929 karma
    @LSATstudent Yeah, that one helped me A BUNCH!

Damn, I'm kind of a nerd so I think I've watched them all with the exception of the Method of Reasoning one. The ones I really recommend that have helped me with specific question types were the Sufficient Assumption Intensive and the Weaken and Strengthen webinars.

And check out some of the stories of 7Sager's who increased their scores and what strategies they used. Nicole Hopkins has a very inspiring story that basically was the sole reason I decided to postpone. Also, Charlie Melman just did a great webinar story of his increase from the 150s to the 170s. Its nice to know you're not alone and they went through the same struggles...
    I think Charlie's will be up in a few days, so definitely keep an eye out for it. :)
    156 karma
    @"Alex Divine"
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I wish you the best! Are you taking the December test? How long have you been studying for?
    11542 karma
    @"LSAT Student" said:
    Thanks for helping me reaffirm I am doing the right thing!
    No problem! Just don't become too emotionally attached to a test date even if it means postponing again (I've postponed 2 times already lol)
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27829 karma
    Well, looks like I’m a little late to the party on this one, but yeah, you’re making the right call on postponing, you’re in good shape with 30 PTs left, and you are correct to stop PTing until you really feel ready to start back. Even the PTs you’ve taken probably still have value in them. Retakes can be really useful if you know how to really approach them. I’m on a break from PTing as well and I did a retake today to stay sharp and to try out a new LR strategy. I learned quite a bit from it. Anyway, point is, you’re in great shape.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATstudent My pleasure!

I think I started studying just about 2 months ago, iirc.

I was planning on taking in September, then I decided to wait until December. Now I am deciding not to even set a date in stone. Just setting a goal of a 170+ I am aiming for June 2017, but if I am not PT'ing in the 170s consistently that might turn into September 2017.

The best part about it is that I am pretty stress free as far as LSAT stuff is concerned. And I am actually finding it really fun now with that stress gone. I really found a passion here on 7Sage just talking to everyone and helping in anyway I can. I'm starting to like the LSAT I think :)

156 karma
    @montaha.rizeq

I've been feeling so attached to the test. The stress had been weighing me down for the past week or so. Postponing feels like it's taken a huge weight off my shoulders.

@"Cant Get Right"

Thanks for the reply. When you take an old test how do you approach it? If you were in my position would you reccomend going back through the CC and continuing to work through the games of old tests (1-36) as well as the tests I have already completed (37-48)?
    156 karma
    @"Alex Divine"

That is awesome man - I am sure with the attitude you have you will definitely achieve your goals! Are you still working through the CC?
    11542 karma
    @"LSAT Student" said:
    I've been feeling so attached to the test. The stress had been weighing me down for the past week or so. Postponing feels like it's taken a huge weight off my shoulders.
    Your mind and body have rights over you - if you feel yourself crashing/obsessing which results in stress then I think you need a minor break from prep (3 days maybe) to help yourself get back in the game.
    156 karma
    @montaha.rizeq

I think you are correct. I will probably take a break till Monday... The test was affecting my life in a negative way. I guess it can do that when it means so much to you.

Just have to remind myself slow and steady, results will come.
    27829 karma
    @"LSAT Student" said:
    When you take an old test how do you approach it? If you were in my position would you reccomend going back through the CC and continuing to work through the games of old tests (1-36) as well as the tests I have already completed (37-48)?
    Yeah, I think that’s exactly what I would do. It sounds like you’ve really hit the reset button and are really wanting to up the quality of your studying. So yeah, go back through the curriculum with this renewed mentality. Keep working on games, I think you can throw 37-48 in to the mix if you’d like, but 1 - 36 is good too if you want to save 37-48 for if you think later retakes would be valuable.

When I take an old test, it’s important to force myself to go through the mental process if I remember a question. If you remember an LR question, you can answer it way too quickly. Scores on retakes will always be inflated, but it’ll get out of hand if you remember that the question about owls is answer choice D and just mark it and move on. So when you come across those, work them out; really force yourself to see how to arrive at the answer before you allow yourself to mark it. They’re also great for trying out new strategies without wasting a fresh test getting comfortable with them. So the PT I did yesterday, I was trying out a new pacing strategy: 25 questions in 20 - 25 minutes. That represents a huge departure from what I’ve been doing and it was very uncomfortable. I’ll keep doing it on retakes until it feels natural, and then I’ll move back into fresh takes. Additionally, there are just so many levels within each test. In the beginning there are heights in understanding you just can’t reach. When you retake later after making substantial improvements, you can extract that extra 10% of value that you couldn’t access before.

And @montaha.rizeq makes a great point about taking a break. Take care to keep yourself fresh, it’s almost impossible to improve if you’re burnt out!
    11542 karma
    I'll check in on you on Monday @"LSAT Student"! Get some rest will ya.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"LSAT Student" said:
    I think you are correct. I will probably take a break till Monday... The test was affecting my life in a negative way. I guess it can do that when it means so much to you.

Just have to remind myself slow and steady, results will come.
    @montaha.rizeq is very right about your mind and body!

After taking a break doing non-LSAT stuff I came back refreshed, recharged, and saw some of my best scores on sections. I was also thinking much more clearly.

Just remember your brain is like a muscle, and you can't run a marathon everyday.

Enjoy your weekend, @LSATstudent :)
    156 karma
    @"Alex Divine"

Thanks man, you as well!

@"montaha.rizeq"

Thank you! This is a great community. One of the best choices I have made.

@"Cant Get Right"

Thanks for the tips! Are you working towards September take or just waiting until you are ready?
    27829 karma
    @“LSAT Student" I’m to the point now where I think I am ready for September. I still have a gap or two I’d like to close, but I feel very near the end. If I delay to December, it will be out of an abundance of caution because I wasted my first two takes and don’t have any margin for error.
    11542 karma
    @"LSAT Student" Checking in. How's it going? How're you feeling? What's for dindin?