Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... thanks to everyone's input

in General 342 karma
I just wanted to share with every one that you guys rock, I have been very stressed about the LSAT and law school in general. SO I have decided to make some serious life changes. First I am not going to take the LSAT until after December... I want to be prepared and I want to be in the 165 plus range and to be quite frank I just don't foresee that happening in September.

Second, I have quit my job to teach English as a second language in Costa Rica. One of the reasons I have decided to pursue law is for human rights specifically with the child bride issues in other countries. (I know we don't really talk about our passions but that is my passion and reason for pursuing law) and I need to learn Spanish. This opportunity will help me learn Spanish, plus give me plenty of time to study for the LSAT so I can hit my goal score... who knows maybe even a higher score?

I know it is odd saying a bunch of strangers helped me realize all of that, but the encouragement and the constant "law school isn't going anywhere" made me realize that I can in fact pursue my passion & take time to work on other passions while studying for the LSAT.

So anyway long story short... I am going to be around for quite some time and thanks for making me realize I do in fact have time & it is not the end of the world if I do not take the Sept LSAT. I mean what is the difference between starting law school at 34 or 35??? Not much in the grand scheme of things.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    Second, I have quit my job to teach English as a second language in Costa Rica. One of the reasons I have decided to pursue law is for human rights specifically with the child bride issues in other countries. (I know we don't really talk about our passions but that is my passion and reason for pursuing law) and I need to learn Spanish. This opportunity will help me learn Spanish, plus give me plenty of time to study for the LSAT so I can hit my goal score... who knows maybe even a higher score?
    Um, beast status much? Heeey look, you're offically a Cubicle Escapee :D EEEEK!! Excited for you and congrats on your new journey!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    I remember you saying that your old job was horrible. So happy to hear that you're going to pursue your passion. Best of luck!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee
    I'm so happy to hear that! And great choice in waiting and not taking in September. You'll be doing a job you like better, in a new place, and be one step closer to your dream!

• 342 karma
    Thanks everyone! It has been a crazy two weeks since I made the decision and I leave a month from Friday. So needless to say I have not studied at all... but I know it will be ok soon. It was nice that a bunch of strangers kept me grounded and realizing that you know... I don't have to take the next LSAT :)
  • 342 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Um, beast status much? Heeey look, you're offically a Cubicle Escapee :D EEEEK!! Excited for you and congrats on your new journey!

Yeah I am pretty sure people think I have fallen off the deep end but overall everyone has been supportive because I have been doing this job I hate for a decade and it just ugh, but it has given me a lot of insight into the legal system which I know will be beneficial in the future.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Great job on the life change! I'm sure you'll do great.

If you have a smart phone, pick up Duolingo for learning Spanish. It's great at teaching you at a set pace, reminds you when you should be studying so you don't lose anything you've learned, tracks your progress and gives you random little quizzes so you can feel good about what you've learned. I've been doing Spanish on there a bit too. :D
    11542 karma
    You said it @TheCubicleEscapee ! We approve this message lol
  • 342 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    If you have a smart phone, pick up Duolingo for learning Spanish
    I downloaded this!!! Everything will help, you would think living in TX I would no way more Spanish, but alas I do not. Thanks for the tip!
    12637 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    Thanks for the tip!
    No problem! I don't know much about the company itself, but I've used the app for a few languages in the past (including English, when I was still learning) so I figured I'd give it a shout out. :)
    11542 karma
    @"Dillon A. Wright" said:
    (including English, when I was still learning
    Sweet, what's your primary lang?
    12637 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Sweet, what's your primary lang?
    Hopefully this answers your question. ;)
    11542 karma
    LOOOOL it certainly does, Monsieur :D
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    I can in fact pursue my passion & take time to work on other passions while studying for the LSAT.
    Awesome brave bold step and maybe a great story for your personal statement!
  • SeriousbirdSeriousbird Alum Member
    1278 karma
    Congrats! I also recommend picking up a Pimsleur cd on helping you learn Spanish. I did that when I had to move overseas and learn two languages. Also, mindsnacks is a great app where you can play games on your phone in different languages, Spanish is definitely an option. Finally, I love busuu, they have an app and a website where you learn the language, interact with other people who speak that language through chat, and do exercises (written and oral) that natives/speakers can correct for you.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Congrats! You officially escaped! So happy for you!
    27823 karma
    So @"Dillon A. Wright" , German huh? Such a beautiful language. Not to mention the best food in the world!
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    690 karma
    Congratulations. I made a similar decision. Taking the September test its my plan to start school in January.
  • BruiserWoodsBruiserWoods Member Inactive ⭐
    1706 karma
    Wow this is awesome! Congratulations. Welcome to the #longhaulclub xoxo
  • runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2481 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee, congratulations on following your passion. You are an inspiration to all of us sitting here waiting for our big brass balls to grow already!
  • 342 karma
    Guys thank you so much!!! I will be glad when things calm down, I leave in a month, I need to go ahead and extend my program and all that. It is on my to do list... I feel like the list is growing every day :) but thanks for all the support. IT means a lot!
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    @TheCubicleEscapee said:
    I know it is odd saying a bunch of strangers helped me realize all of that
    This is essentially what separates 7Sage from every other forum, prep company, etc. We genuinely do care about each other. When I first started using 7Sage, I simply saw myself as a LSAT student. The rest of you guys were fellow LSAT students. Now I see everyone here as a member of my LSAT family. Not only has 7Sage been an incredible resource for studying for the LSAT, but each and every member has been a part of my support network, whether they realize it or not!

Okay no more mushy talk. It's great that you made these life changes and that you're being realistic with yourself. Best of luck!
  • 342 karma
    That was pretty mushy but I love <3 it :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @MrSamIam said:

This is essentially what separates 7Sage from every other forum, prep company, etc. We genuinely do care about each other. When I first started using 7Sage, I simply saw myself as a LSAT student. The rest of you guys were fellow LSAT students. Now I see everyone here as a member of my LSAT family.

YESSS! <3

27823 karma
    @MrSamIam said:
    Now I see everyone here as a member of my LSAT family. Not only has 7Sage been an incredible resource for studying for the LSAT, but each and every member has been a part of my support network, whether they realize it or not!
    For real. Take that PT 36 RC passage 1!
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Hahaha! I just had to pull up that passage. Those older LSATs are waaaay off base...at least when it comes to discussions of technology.
    27823 karma
    Yeah, @MrSamIam , they’re often so far off that it actually makes what is supposed to be an easy question really challenging. It’s really funny though, I enjoy stumbling across them.
    2086 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Oh trust me, I know what you mean. It's a good thing we don't PT using tests 1-35!