Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Score fluctuation?

inactiveinactive Alum Member
in General 12637 karma
Hey, 7Sagers! Got a question from a student that I thought you guys could help me out with. Here it is:
I'd love to get your advice.

I've been studying for the LSAT for about 4 months. I've been scoring in the high 150s for my last five practice tests but this past weekend I scored a 169 and then went back down to 157. I took the test I scored a 157 on at home around 9pm (after studying for 4 hours in the afternoon). I took the 169 test the day before, at 10am in the library (no studying beforehand, and the last PT I took before that was 5 days prior)

Is the 157, most likely closer to what my performance will be in September given that it's been closer to my previous tests (158, 159, 159) or is it possible for me to score consistently in the high 160s beforehand.

Also, can you explain the sudden increase from high 150s to high 160s?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Hmmmm I would say the 169 might have been an outlier. Of course it is hard to say with certitude one way or the other, but that is an enormous increase to be attributed to much else. I would say maybe something just clicked, but you went back down closer to your average.

Also, while the time of day and your energy level have a big effect on your score, I don't think the entire 11 point increase is just because of time. However, I think it is something to look into. Perhaps try taking another PT at the same time, under the same conditions, and see what happens.

The good news is that if you are capable of scoring a 169 once, you are capable of it period. I So while it was most likely an outlier, I don't think it was just simply luck.

For September I would say to expect a score closer to the average of your last 5 or so PTs. You have a month, so you may be able to break into the 160s consistently by then, but of course there is no way to say for certain.
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    I agree with @"Alex Divine" on this. However, despite what some might say, a month is plenty of time if you truly buckle down to improve your score. In just two and a half months, I have jumped 20 points and I would like to move a few more. Ultimately, I can't really tell you what your prognosis is, I would have to see your score breakdown. If you took an older test where reading comprehension was much easier than it is today, it may explain the discrepancy in scores but then again, the games are immensely difficult on older exams. Personally, the logic games tend to be my best section so I take older exams to tune my skills.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27858 karma
    Your average score is definitely the more realistic evaluation of where you fall. I typically subtract my highest and lowest scores when determining my average. Outliers can be really bad if you put too much value on them. The danger here is that maybe you haven't fully committed to your test date yet and you use this to say well, maybe I'll get lucky. I used outliers to justify taking the LSAT twice before I was ready, and I really wasted those opportunities. Your high score is what you're capable of, but it does not represent your current level. Let that be your motivation. Work towards bridging the gap between your average and your high score. And congrats on raising the bar so high! Outlier or not, that's an amazing score!