Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Admissions advice

rachelrachel Alum Member
The 7Sage community has given such sage advice on all things LSAT that I thought I'd throw out a rather unconventional topic to see if anyone cares to weigh in and illuminate me. I was introduced to the dean of my target law school by a friend of mine who is on the board of trustees at the university. He set us up for a lunch meeting on Friday! I'm curious (and a tad nervous truthfully) how to best approach the meeting. I'm confident in my ability to get in to the law school based on my numbers, but I'm working on a higher LSAT score to maximize my scholarship chances. I am curious: what would you say or do if you were in my situation? I have a few ideas but would love the benefit of this group's input.

I feel like this is an incredible opportunity and I want to get it right. Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited August 2016 23929 karma
    @rachel said:
    I feel like this is an incredible opportunity and I want to get it right. Thanks in advance for any tips or ideas!

That is so awesome! I'm so jealous, I wish I could meet with the dean of my target law school. My only advice would be to just act normal.... Be yourself, be courteous, professional, and confident. Maybe dress up a bit depending on where you are having lunch.

I'd have some answers prepared in case he asks "Why X law school?" or "Why you are interested in law?" or "What do you plan on doing with your law degree?" Perhaps some things to ask him if the opportunity arises.

I think if you have the numbers already and are having a private lunch with the dean, don't worry too much. You got this! Good luck :)
  • combsnicombsni Free Trial Member
    652 karma
    I would even ask him to identify a weakness in their law school or something like "what would you say the main advantage of going to ____ is ?"
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    These are great ideas @"Alex Divine" and @combsni. I appreciate your support and feedback!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @rachel :) Good luck!
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    Like others have said, just be yourself. Definitely know how you'd answer any of the standard questions, but the advantage of a face-to-face meeting is much more about feel. I think your best possible outcome here is that y'all really click personally and they leave feeling like they really enjoyed themselves. I wouldn't even necessarily be overly eager to talk about school/law/admissions. If you find out they're a birdwatcher or film buff or amateur astronomer or whatever it is they're in to; that would make for great conversation. People love to talk about the things they love, and any experience where they can do that with enthusiasm is a good experience.

Good luck today!
  • rachelrachel Alum Member
    207 karma
    It went awesome, thanks @"Cant Get Right" !
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @rachel Did you find out anything exciting about the law school? Also, are you thinking more about attending the school now that you got to meet with the dean?

Also, I have to ask, what did you order!!! ;)