Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letter of Recommendation from High School Professor?

Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
I'm just curious as to if getting a high school physics professor to write a LOR for me would hurt my application.. He's been a close mentor throughout my years in Undergrad and through my professional career and knows me much better than my college professors. He's a very respected and knowledgeable individual, but I fear that because he works at a HS instead of University it might not hold as much weight. I couldn't find anything on TLS after searching so I thought I would ask here before starting a post over there.

For what it's worth I also plan on including 2 of my University professor's as LOR's as well.. just stuck between my HS Physics teacher and a supervisor at my engineering company as number 3.

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Don't get a LOR from a HS teacher
  • Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma
    Good enough for me :D
    11542 karma
    Haha :) Yeah just stick with University LORs
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Haha :) Yeah just stick with University LORs
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    If you're choosing between a LOR from a HS instructor and one from an employer, go with the latter. Ideally, you would want to get another from a college professor. If that isn't an option, a LOR from an employer should be fine.
  • Mellow_ZMellow_Z Alum Member
    1997 karma
    I could definitely get another from a different professor but I really don't think it would be super personal and I want to stay away from the generic "this was a good student. he did good work" type of letters. I have a trip scheduled to my UG to meet with some professors and talk things over so maybe when I get some face time with them my opinions will change. I guess 2 LOR's would be sufficient for most schools though so my predicament isn't the end of the world
    11542 karma
    That's great to know you're able to get a different LOR from a university professor @Mellow_Z! And you're on the right track meeting up with a professor face to face. I think the more they know about you the less likely it will be a run of the mill LOR. And yes 2 LORs are generally sufficient :)