Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Websites that will help with RC?

Hey guys been MIA, trying to get ready to move out of the country & all... but my question is... what websites do you know of that can help with reading comprehension? I can't really get a subscription to anything as I will not be here... but I was wondering if you knew of any websites I could possibly read daily? My reading comprehension is strong, but until I am not missing a single question every time I always have room for improvement :) Thanks guys!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I will preface this by saying I think it is more helpful to just do and redo actual RC passages.

That said, I do read articles on http://www.scientificamerican.com/

They are all pretty similar to the RC passages. Heck, many have come right from this publication.

I also read the Economist, but I have a subscription to get it on my iPad, but I am sure you can find those for free online.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    I want to echo Alex's sentiments. The biggest jump for me in RC has been taking untuned RC sections.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    I'm a big proponent of outside reading. Readers will consistently outscore nonreaders, so be a reader. However, all of that must be considered totally supplementary to your studying. For proper studying, only official LSAT passages will do. I definitely agree with Economist and Sci American. Just get a Kindle and get the digital version.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    http://www.onalytica.com/blog/posts/top-200-most-influential-economics-blogs/

A lot of people recommend the economist, but as a finance/econ major, a lot of their stuff is just OK (with the exception of Ryan Avent, who is great). I recommend picking 15 or so from these blogs (with a strong bias with those in the top 50) and read a few articles a day. The differing opinions on the subjects can help you pick out contrasts and tone. If you had to pick only one, pick Economist's View (the number 2 slot) since Mark Thoma links to a random selection of interesting/diverse articles every day.

My personal favorite is the money illusion (number 9), but that's because I'm a monetary policy wonk.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm trying to just get everything handled before I leave :) I want to make sure I study but anything supplemental will be a bonus... My internet could be a bit wonky from time to time so I like the subscription idea as it will be downloaded on my kindle :)

Jennifer
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma
    All the best on the move!
  • Thanks it has been insane, but I know I am making the right decisions. I am even contemplating another placement in 2017 which will move my law: school back to fall of 2018 but then I could possibly sit for the June exam... that being said... since I made peace with my decision and decided that I can in fact help out around the world and you know make a difference... stuff has been clicking on the LSAT and I feel like I would be ready for the Dec exam... it is weird what letting go and making decisions will do for studying things are just clicking
  • Giant PandaGiant Panda Alum Member
    274 karma
    Financial Times
    the Economist

And if you want to try and get a real good hit: Science Magazine-Cancer Research
  • tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma
    Harvard, Yale, Stanford Law review articles are great.
  • dennisgerrarddennisgerrard Member
    1644 karma
    @tams2018 nice source!
  • Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    edited November 2016 1091 karma
    With a slight hint of caution I would suggest http://leiterreports.typepad.com/

It is a philosophy focused blog from a Chicago law professor. He frequently posts links to topical articles written at the sort of level you might see come up in a RC section - proper pieces of journalism, opinion pieces, political analysis, that sort of thing.

This has the added benefit that you know the stuff is being read by a professor at a top school. Plus I have never seen him link something that is behind a pay-wall - in other words, it's all free.

The hint of caution is that at the end of the day it's a philosophy focused blog, so not every post will be relevant/interesting/bearable. But I read it frequently and enjoy it. Disclaimer: I'm a (former) philosophy grad student.

EDIT: Oh and a tip for his blog - if you click on certain of his tags (just under each post near the time-stamp) you will be directed to only those blog posts under those tags, and this can be useful for sifting through all the posts to find something good for RC practise. So, for example, he has tagged a lot of Trump-related news with "Authoritarianism and Fascism Alerts". Clicking that will give you lots of pieces on politics, and none of the dry stuff like who just got tenure in the world of academic philosophy.