Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contrapositive in conditional statements that include "probably" or possibility

stcaitmokyustcaitmokyu Free Trial Member
in General 68 karma
Hi, jsut wondering...
If conditional statements include "probably" or prediction, can we make it contrapositive?
Eg...A→B,
prob not A→Prob not B,
Contrapositive: Prob B→Prob A. Is this allowed? Can we call this as illegal reversal of the original A→B?

Thank you

Comments

• Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    In short no, you can't do this. But you have to be careful what your elements are.

Say you have the argument you gave:
    Probably Not A--->Probably Not B

Probably B--->Probably A is not a contrapositive because it doesn't mean the same thing as the original statement; a contrapositive provides no new information--only a restatement using a different combination of words.

Think of this practical example:
    If I probably (or, most likely) didn't attend class, I probably didn't get an A. That isn't the same thing as if I probably got an A, I probably attended class. This this is the case because you're conflating inductive arguments (arguments of probability) and deductive arguments.

To see this further, let's use the same argument:
    Probably Not A--->Probably Not B

There is a contrapositive for this:
    Not probably not B--->Not Probably not A.

• LsatbreakingnewsLsatbreakingnews Alum Member
    392 karma
    Accounts playable da GOAT
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I don't know why but this explanation reminds me of the video of that little boy at the carnival but replace probably with apparently. Hi @"Accounts Playable"
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @nye8870

Hey! What's up?