Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letters of Recommendation

sacul123sacul123 Member
in General 28 karma
I am having trouble trying to narrow down the person I should ask to write me a second letter of recommendation. I already have a professor who has taught me for three years. However, I have been volunteering at a homeless shelter/soup kitchen on a monthly basis for a year and the manager offered to write me a letter. Moreover, this summer I worked for the government (employment and social services) in an office and my supervisor had also offered to write me a letter (I've only known her for 4 months). Finally, I've worked at my father's law firm for four summers but I think asking his partner for a letter would look a little sketch seeing my last name on the letter. I can't decide who can possibly write me a stronger letter or who is the better choice?

Comments

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    How long have you been out of school? Is it possible to get one more academic letter?
  • sacul123sacul123 Member
    28 karma
    I just graduated in June...I could ask for another academic but the professor has only known me for four months and i only received a 78 in his class.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Why not ask them all to write you a LOR? That way you'll have plenty on file, and, you can pick and choose which to send to schools.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @sacul123 said:
    I just graduated in June...I could ask for another academic but the professor has only known me for four months and i only received a 78 in his class.
    Congrats on graduating. Well can't you think of a different professor whose class you scored well in? maybe ask to meet during their office hours so they can get a better grasp of who you are. When submitting the LORs, always waive your right to be able to view them as this is highly preferred by law schools. This generally allows the writer of the letter to speak as honest as possible.
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7286 karma
    In general, academic LORs weigh much more than professional letters. Why? Because admissions officers are chiefly trying to determine whether or not you'll do well in law school, and a letter from a manager, supervisor, or even another lawyer is just less relevant. If you can find another professor who really likes you, ask him or her. Otherwise, choose the person who seems most willing to write a long, compelling letter—one that's full of personal anecdotes.