Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General Question

texvd1988texvd1988 Member
in General 605 karma
Hey guys,

Happy to be part of an intelligent community. I have just started the program and am loving it so far. I was wondering what an average breakdown of questions by difficulty would be on a 50 question LR section.

How many 1 star, 2 star, 3 star, etc questions should I expect to find on average? Is it an even distribution where I will see a 10/10/10/10/10 split? Or are there a bit more 1/2/3 star questions?

Sorry if this is an idiotic question, but I am generally curious so I could get a gauge of where I am.

Happy Studying.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27885 karma
    I'd guess it's probably heaviest in the middle. More 3 stars than anything, slightly fewer 2 and 4, and fewest 1 and 5.

That's just a guess, but I'd suspect it'd come out somewhere near that in order to mimic the bell curve they're trying to produce on the scoring.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    It's also important to keep these ratings in perspective. What is a 5 question for most people of the LSAT could actually be a 1 for you, with the reverse also being true. Be diligent about noting what is difficult FOR YOU specifically so you can work on your specific weaknesses.
  • texvd1988texvd1988 Member
    605 karma
    Thank you guys! I will take this into account.
  • desire2learndesire2learn Member
    edited September 2016 1171 karma
    Since you have Ultimate+ you will be able to get a good feel for how these sections are generally laid out once you start PTs by using the Analytics. They start with easier questions and progress to hard one as a general rule (but there are a few exceptions). I agree most with @"blah170blah" though, some three stars are like five stars for me because of my strengths and weaknesses, some 5 stars are like 2 stars because of my strengths and weaknesses. That is (one of the many reasons) why 7sage is so great because you can track where you need to be improving and focus on those weaknesses.
    605 karma
    That's a good point. I have already pinpointed parallel reasoning as a huge weakness. (If it goes higher than 1 star, I am basically dead to rights). It's interesting to see how people can view things differently.
    605 karma
    Another reason why I ask about general distribution by difficulty is because I am trying to time properly:

I have noticed that one and 2 star questions normally take me 35 to 50 seconds per question. 3 star questions take me 1:24 to complete, and 4/5 star take me around 2 minutes to complete.

I think with that kind of distribution I find a right time balance for LR, but I also notice that I get more right if I have 2 to 2:30 for 4/5 star Q's. Is it reasonable to be giving myself 2 minutes on 4/5 star Q's during the practice Q's they give us in the curriculum?
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27885 karma
    Yeah, I think that's fine. Curve breakers take longer. Once you start working on a comprehensive pacing strategy, you'll just need to earn that time on the easier questions which it sounds like you're already well on your way towards accomplishing.