PT28.S2.G2 (Q09) - to prepare for fieldwork

MookittyyMookittyy Member
edited September 2016 in Logic Games 167 karma
(Link to explanation for ease of access: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-28-section-2-game-2/ )

"Each of the following could be a complete and accurate list of the researchers who learn both S and Y EXCEPT:

A) H
B) P
C) HL
D) HP
E) LP"

I am having a really difficult time understanding this question. How can 4 of the ACs ALL be complete and accurate? As far as I understand it, a list that is complete AND accurate can take only one form... the one with all of the correct elements listed. So I don't understand what this question is asking for at all. I wasn't even able to understand the explanation because I couldn't comprehend what the question is asking for.

Please help me understand this one, thanks!

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    This is a pretty tough game. Question 9 took me a bit and was initially quite confusing. My confusion emanated from the same point as yours. That's what I will try to address here.

So the question is an EXCEPT question. Meaning we are looking for 4 of the answer choices in which both SY could be there. If they can have SY then they pass the test.
    (A) the Historian could be the only thing that has SY. That's totally fine. The Geologist could just have S. The historian could have SY The linguist and paleontologist could have TY and TY respectively. Leaving only the historian who has SY.
    (C) The historian and the linguist could have SY. The geologist could have T, the Historian could have SYT the linguist could have SY and the Paleontologist could have Y.
    (D) pretty much the same as (C) Geologist T, historian SYT, linguist Y, paleontologist SY. Here we see P and L switch what they learn.
    (E)Geologist T, historian TY, linguist SY, paleontologist SY.
    (A) (C) (D) (E) are all complete and accurate lists of the SY together. The following is a visible representation of the possibilities that could exist. Note that the single R* is free to float (minus going in the G)

28 2 photo WP_20160918_004_zpsepbuaxc6.jpg
  • BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8689 karma
    Note that the question stem doesn't say only both SY*

So what about (B)? Whats going on with (B)? We are checkmated by the conditions if we try to place SY into just paleontologist. In a similar manner we would be checkmated by the conditions if we tried to place SY into just the linguist group. since we have to use 2 "S" where would the other S go if we just put it into the paleontologist group? Not into geologists, that would mean three S. Not into historians or linguists,both of those groups forever and always contain a Y, that would make another group contain SY, thus the answer choice wouldn't be "complete." Everywhere you turn with (B) is couldn't work.

Play around with this question. It hinges on several layers of abstraction and difficulty, they are as follows:
    1.This question is an EXCEPT question. We all know those questions are a pain.
    2.This question subtly leaves open the possibility of not just SY, but other things in the groups also.
    3. The answer choices at first blush don't look to be either complete or accurate, especially (A).
  • MookittyyMookittyy Member
    edited September 2016 167 karma
    Thank you very much, this has helped me almost completely understand the question! Very thorough explanation, much appreciated.

What was blocking me from getting this question was that I thought we were only ever considering one scenario/game board, which then didn't make sense for 4 different lists to be complete and accurate. But, since each question is essentially talking about a different game board version, this clears it right up. Your visual explanation was very helpful in this!

Then it's just a matter of figuring out the complete and accurate list for each setup/scenario.

Thanks again :)