Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Cancel My June LSAT Score?

imsupersabimsupersab Alum Member
edited June 2014 in General 12 karma
I am just wondering how many of you are considering the same thing, after realizing the section I messed up on is most likely not the experimental section....

Comments

• johnnymshawjohnnymshaw Alum Member
    11 karma
    I'm cancelling. I had 2 LG sections, one which I nailed the other completely bombed (at least 5-7 wrong/unanswered). After talking to ppl after the test, I've realized the one I bombed was the real one.
  • imsupersabimsupersab Alum Member
    12 karma
    Exactly what happened to me. The LG I messed up on, there was one game I had no clue what the stimulus was talking about.
  • wendelsr-1wendelsr-1 Alum Member
    111 karma
    I am going to wait it out. I know I didn't pull it off on that last game but I felt confident in my LR and RC, until I went on all the message boards. I had two LG as well and hit the 4th game with 12 minutes left. I think I was able to get 1-2 on them right and chose a letter down the line on the rest.

I just feel like the September one could end up being worse. Regardless, I would evaluate your performance on how well you know yourself. That last game aside, compare how you felt to your old PTs and the results from those. You know your testing better than anyone else.
  • jschmi25jschmi25 Alum Member
    62 karma
    Yea like for everyone freaking out about the last game, it was equally as shocking for everyone so expect that to be reflected on the curve. Unless you need a 170+ that last game should not have, on its own, destroyed your LSAT score. It came out of no where but don't let the discouragement from 5 questions destroy your confidence in the test as a whole. Its not out of 24 its out of 100!
  • ikethelsatikethelsat Alum Member
    edited June 2014 193 karma
    Why would you cancel?
    a) You won't get any feedback, and you'll never know what you could have got. You;ll always wonder.

b) Everybody always thinks their test went dreadfully. I wrote down what I thought I had received after each PT and was invariably wrong, both ways. The one PT I scored a 180 on, I thought I had had a disastrous RC section. In reality, I had missed one question and it was one I thought was easy.

c) It really doesn't matter. There is no school out there that will rule you out because of a retake. Some claim a holistic view, some look at the higher, whatever. But remember, there is no guarantee whatsoever of a better test next time. Either way, an improvement (which is the only reason you'd benefit from a retake) looks great - you tried, you worked on it, and you came back better.

Canceling a score because of a tough LG that had 5 questions, of which the first Q. was immediately premise based as always and thus presumably didn't throw off anyone who would expect to do well on LGs, seems crazy. So what, you missed maybe 3 or 4 you would expect to get elsewhere? At most?! You don't even know that! You might have got your best ever LR/RC and you don't even know it.

Do what you think is best, but I really think that unless you gave up halfway through a section or something that you are only going to regret it.
  • imsupersabimsupersab Alum Member
    12 karma
    Thank you guys for showing how you truly feel about cancelling LSAT score. I really appreciate your contribution of attitudes toward the pros and cons.

And yes, ikethelsat, it's true that we all should at least find out where the biggest problem resides in before running away from it. Thanks for the persuasive analysis.
  • johnnymshawjohnnymshaw Alum Member
    11 karma
    For me it's less about that one tough game than the fact that I know I could be a lot more consistent on the games section in general with more practice. I tended to be very consistent on the other sections in practice tests, but all over the place on the games. I'm pretty sure I did as badly on that section as I have on any practice section (I don't think I aced the other games either, and I didn't even bubble anything on the last one).

So I figure by concentrating mostly on the LG section between now and September, while practicing other sections here and there to keep them fresh, I can give it a much better effort. I also had some unfortunate circumstances come up over the past couple weeks which prevented me from getting near as much studying in as I wanted. Since I'm very confident I scored well below my potential given what I've consistently gotten on practice tests and the number of questions I
    I'm 100% sure I did not get right, I don't see what advantage there is in keeping this score.

I would say in general if you only feel bad about that one game and you think you performed up to your potential on the rest of it, don't cancel because I would imagine the difficulty of that game will be reflected in the curve.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    @ikethelsat, I agree. Very good points.