PT51.S1.Q15 - The typological theory of species

Barack Obama 2.0Barack Obama 2.0 Alum Member
edited October 2016 in Logical Reasoning 87 karma
I know why C is right, but still can't put my finger on why D is wrong.
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-51-section-1-question-15/

Comments

• Barack Obama 2.0Barack Obama 2.0 Alum Member
    87 karma
    Somebody must know why D is wrong.
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    Have you read @"Accounts Playable"'s comment on this?
    Uhhhh, this seems pretty good, too. What the hell? This is wrong on a few levels. Most glaringly is the word “false.” Does “unacceptable” mean “false?” I didn’t think so, which was my justification for eliminating this answer choice during the timed exam. What if T theory explained everything truthfully, but another theory simply explained everything T explains, but more? That would make T theory not false, but still unacceptable. Next, are the “sibling species” incompatible with the theory? Incompatible to me means inconsistent. In T theory, the two things look the same, so T theory counts them as the same species. There doesn’t seem to be any internal inconsistency/incompatibility problem in the argument. C is clearly better.
  • Barack Obama 2.0Barack Obama 2.0 Alum Member
    edited October 2016 87 karma
    Is there any other reason apart from the word "unacceptable" for why D is incorrect?

It seems like the author is saying: The idea that some species can look the same and not be part of the same species (because they cannot interbreed) is not compatible with the typological theory, therefore is not acceptable.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10789 karma
    I think answer choice "D" is also wrong because what "D" is stating is not a flaw. If a fact/phenomena is incompatible with the theory thats usually grounds for proof that the theory is wrong and is unacceptable/false in its attempt to make sense of the physical world.