Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NA and SA together

esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
in General 382 karma
For NA questions, some of the answers are SA and NA together. I'm having trouble with this because there are other "trap" choices that I choose that wreck the argument and look correct. I can identify the SA answer, but i think it is wrong because it is too strong.

My question is: If there is a SA answer choice for an NA question, is it right every time? How can I tell when they're looking for both when it is not indicated in the question stem?

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    So, an SA answer choice in a necessary assumption question is not always right. In fact, many of the trap answers in NA will be SA.

So this really depends on the stimulus. What helps me is to see what the conclusion says and what the support says. Does the stimulus require that "SA" answer choice to be true otherwise the conclusion would not be true? I think you can probably tell if you need an SA answer choice for the most part based on the nature of the stimulus. If there is an obvious gap from the premise to conclusion then you definitely need something to connect the two, and most likely it might be in the form of an SA answer choice.

I would suggest going into the answer choices for NA questions with an open mind and a focus on what your conclusion and premises say. And use your premise and conclusion to determine if you "require" that answer choice to be true. Because sometimes the answer choices can be really out of nowhere and still need to be true.
  • esteeroseesteerose Alum Member
    382 karma
    so, if there's a giant gap then it's more likely that the SA will be included in the answer choice?
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2016 10774 karma
    really depends on the answer choices. for example, I play basketball therefore I am the best basketball player in the world can have a strong correct answer choice such as I could beat shaqueel o'neal, or anyone that's amazing. But It could also have a weak answer choice that would also be correct such as "I can dribble".

So, for NA my recommendation is to not have a pre-phrase but more of an open mind and a strong sense of your premise and conclusion. Because there really are a thousand possibilities that are necessary to that argument. You want to be ready to spot whichever form they present it to you.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @Sami said:
    So, for NA my recommendation is to not have a pre-phrase but more of an open mind and a strong sense of your premise and conclusion. Because there really are a thousand possibilities that are necessary to that argument. You want to be ready to spot whichever form they present it to you.
    Great advice! Keep an open mind with Na questions for sure. I used to miss them back when I first started prepping a few months back because I wasn't keeping and open mind.

Just remember the "negate test" : The right answer choice for an NA question will cause the argument to fall apart when negated.