Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to get LR completely down?

in General 103 karma
Hi friends!
So i've been working way through the curriculum and LR is my worst by far. I am actually alright in the other two areas. I just want to know, what can I do to gain fluency in LR? Just drill? I try going over the core curriculum, but I find myself not really gaining anything from it.. It's not a specific question type either, like some MBT I'll be okay on and some I'll just end up missing five in a row. I'm not sure what to do to make LR a strength for me? Do y'all know of any resources or books that I could get and work through? I haven't used anything but 7sage.

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    edited November 2016 2573 karma
    @LSATismeh Hello! Have you tried The LSAT Trainer? It sounds like you may still have an issue with exactly how to dissect the different question types. I had this issue. I was able to get the easier questions correct but when I moved up to the harder questions, I bombed getting more wrong than right. I used The LSAT Trainer to gain a different perspective on how to tackle the questions. I also understood flaws more clearly after reading those sections. Also, during your BR are you writing why the 4 answers are wrong and the 1 answer is right? This can help you see patterns and common wrong answer choices. Don't write things like "out of scope" in the beginning for wrong answer choices because this is to help you see why you picked a right or wrong answer choice so you want to be a thorough as possible so that you can see your error during your review. It's super tedious but it's only going to benefit you. Once you start to see improvement start drilling again at the same level. Once comfortable move up to the next level of difficulty. I made the mistake of thinking just because I did well on the easier questions I would be able to figure out the harder questions, wrong! Just take your time. It's awesome that you are waiting until you know you are prepared before registering! Hopefully someone else will be by soon to help more. Good luck!
  • 103 karma
    @tanes256 thank you for that!! I haven't been writing out my BR rationalization but I've been speaking it out to myself. Perhaps writing will help it more than anything. The LSAT trainer looks interesting, but it's a bit expensive so that's why I didn't shell out the money for it just yet. I'll look into it for sure! Thanks for the tips!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @LSATismeh no problem! See if there is a local bookstore that carries the book. You can check it out there. I've known people that study with the book in the bookstore so they don't have to buy it! LOL I believe I paid around $40-$45 for it. Look on Amazon and eBay. There are also those sites where you can rent the books for about $20 for 3-4 mos. You should be able to read what you need in that amount of time.
  • tams2018tams2018 Member
    727 karma
    I would review the grammar lessons in the core curriculum (again and then again). Reading for understanding is sooooo important!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @tams2018 said:
    I would review the grammar lessons in the core curriculum (again and then again). Reading for understanding is sooooo important!
    So true! I honestly didn't see much improvement with LR until I actually revised JY's lessons on the basics in the CC.
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27828 karma
    @tams2018 said:
    I would review the grammar lessons in the core curriculum (again and then again).
    This. I've found that the LSAT actually tends to keep the logic pretty simple. But then they pile language on top of it and use it to obscure that logic. I think this is why we so frequently see people frustrated because they understand the logic and yet still aren't improving. I think the issue with this is frequently grammar. It seems like such a simple easy thing, but for me this is where the bulk of the difficulty actually tends to arise. A mastery of grammar is vital to LSAT success.
    @tanes256 said:
    It's super tedious but it's only going to benefit you.
    And this. Most of your improvements are going to happen in the tedium. Engage with it, don't get bored, stay focused, and you will begin to see improvements.
  • 103 karma
    thank you all! Here's to going back to grammar lessons and sticking with it. :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @LSATismeh said:
    thank you all! Here's to going back to grammar lessons and sticking with it. :)
    That's the spirit! By the time I take the LSAT, I'll probably have watched each lesson 4-5 times haha. It does help!