Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Couple General Questions...

in General 308 karma
Hey guys, I was just wondering if I can get some feedback on a couple issues.
So I'm taking the December LSAT and i was wondering if waking up at 6 am everyday during the final week leading up to the test will be a good enough sleep schedule to get myself ready for Saturday and be able to fall asleep on Friday. (Im also planning on waking up at 6 am a few more times during this month during PT's in order to assimilate game day.) That's my first question.

My second question is whether or not to take any type of sleeping pill the night before the test because i really don't want to struggle going to sleep or something. (I would obviously test the sleeping pills beforehand during a PT to see how it affects me but i just want general feedback on that idea.)

Finally, what are some good breakfasts to have ON the day of the test?

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    I maintained a very strict schedule in order to make sure I was in sync physically and mentally on test day, and I highly encourage it.

I did use a sleep aid which I had tested and knew for sure would wear off completely by the time I woke up.

For breakfast, I actually designed that based largely on a RC passage, haha. Something about how proteins and carbs work together and affect your brain. I ate eggs and sausage for protein, and granola and fruit for carbs. Coffee and orange juice and I was good to go.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I would suggest beginning your sleep schedule for December LSAT as soon as possible. This way you get yourself in the groove of waking up early and making sure your brain is turned "on" so to speak.

Second, I would experiment with how the sleeping aid is going to affect you beforehand. In the past, I have used sleep aids, both prescription and non-prescription, and they have such varying affects on me. A few times the feeling of grogginess didn't wear off me until around lunch!

Last, as far a foods for breakfast: I would say like sleeping medications, experiment. Begin waking up a 6am and having breakfast before you PT at 8:30am. Like @"Cant Get Right" I advocate protein. I myself usually have an avocado, some toast, and maybe granola bar and some coffee. I personally find eggs and sausage too early in the morning makes me feel kind of too full or sluggish. So again, it is preference. Just make sure whatever you choose doesn't make you feel sick or uncomfortable. You also should make sure it doesn't leave you feeling hungry in an hour or two either...

• 308 karma
    @"Cant Get Right" Can you expand on what exactly you mean by strict schedule? In my case, every week, i take 1-2 PT's and on those days, i take a sleeping pill beforehand to see how my body reacts to it, and i wake up at 6 am as i would on test day. I'm also planning on waking up at 6am the entire final week leading up to the test. How much more strict was yours, relatively speaking?

What sleeping aid was it, if you don't mind me asking? haha maybe i can give it a shot.

Got you, got you. Thanks man.

@"Alex Divine" Is my strategy good enough in your opinion? Or should i Maybe start waking up at 6 am further than a week out?

As far as the sleeping aids, yeah I'm going to experiment with a few and see which, if any, i'll end up using because i want to make sure i can function properly come test time.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" said:
    @"Alex Divine" Is my strategy good enough in your opinion? Or should i Maybe start waking up at 6 am further than a week out?

As far as the sleeping aids, yeah I'm going to experiment with a few and see which, if any, i'll end up using because i want to make sure i can function properly come test time.
    Yeah, I think it is good, but I would suggest getting yourself used to waking up at 6am as soon as possible.
  • Stevie CStevie C Alum Member
    645 karma
    I'm trying to transition gradually over the course of the month. I get up around 9 AM currently
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27821 karma
    By strict schedule, I mean that every minute of every morning was predetermined. I had about a dozen alarms set to go off to tell me to go for a run or fix breakfast or do warm up drills or drink coffee or whatever the plan was. I designed it based on what I determined my ideal test day would look like and then I lived it every day for months. I started my studies at 9 which is about when the test will begin, assuming competent proctors. From there, what I actually studied was determined by my study schedule which was a separate thing. Drills, curriculum review, PTing, whatever: I began at 9.

And sleep aid was zquil. I liked it better than a pill because I could control the dosing better. I tried melatonin too but I wasn't able to quite get back sharp in the mornings. I don't have problems sleeping mostly, it was just good in the beginning to help establish my schedule and then good to have the night before in case nerves were going to try and keep me up.
  • 308 karma
    @"Stevie C" Same here. I'm waking up at 9 am right now and then 6 am on days where I PT.

@"Cant Get Right" That's some dedication man haha what i got out of what you and @"Alex Divine" said was basically that i should wake up early as soon as possible to adjust to it and start my studies/PT's around 9, which is when the real test will begin.