Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q about Foolproof Method: "Did you finish this game in time?"

steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
in Logic Games 192 karma
(For newbies: this refers to Lesson 18 of Introduction to Logic Games & Sequencing Games)

Does "in time" refer to JY's estimate of the time required as shown with, and stated in, his explanation of the game? I can't think of any other time criterion to use, so:

Is there any reason I shouldn't use that estimate as a hard-and-fast rule, meaning that if I exceed it at all then I should re-do the game? I guess another and totally nerdy way of asking this is: are these estimates the mean of JY's subjective distribution of the time a -0 LG section scorer would take, or are they generous such they are comfortably to the right of that mean? If the former I could chalk up a minor exceedance to variance and move on; if the former I'd have to re-do.

I know this seems a nitpicking question, but I think it might make some difference to me as I'm just starting a rigorous 20-day push featuring 84 games of LG practice.

Comments

• steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    Afterthought: If JY's estimate is indeed the method's criterion, it would be really, really convenient to have a list of those estimates somewhere. In case there's not such a list, here's a start:

https://i.gyazo.com/e5e2b85960791d37ca84614db8608d55.png

...Although I suppose it'd not be a good idea to look at -- know -- the estimates before first doing a section of games.
    192 karma
    In my original, please read "if the former ...; if the former" as "if the former ...; if the latter".
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    Yes, estimated time is referring to the recommended time listed on the LG explanations.

I can put together a spread sheet this week if I have time.

192 karma
    @"Alex Divine" the spreadsheet I made (see above) suits my purpose for the subset of games I'm planning to use, so no need to do it for me. However, I'd think it would be useful to others in the future.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    14008 karma
    The target times are meant for students aiming for -0 on LG. Generally, that means students who are already well and deep into their prep . It's generally not a good idea to set -0 as your initial target. You should feel free to turn the dial down and increase the target times.