Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for the community, particularly those with knowledge on C&F essays.

Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
in General 453 karma
Well, this year's election was full of surprises. The biggest surprise for me was that my home state, Nevada, decided to legalize recreational marijuana. I found this to be very beneficial for me in my situation. No, not because I will be toking up on a daily basis (never really could get into that stuff), but because I have possession of paraphernalia charge on my record.

Prior to the election, I knew once it was time to apply I would have to explain this charge, in detail, for admission to any law school. It's really embarrassing to have on your record. Especially because the glass pipe I was caught with wasn't even mine (it was my friends, I was just letting him keep it in my car. I know, stupid decision. But hey, I was 18 at the time). With that, my question to the community is this: now that marijuana will be legal in my state, as of January 1st, what does that mean in terms of admissions? I can't help but feel vindicated by the outcome of this referenda, but I'm not sure how it will look in the eyes of admissions officers. Should I still disclose? If so, how do I explain this now (it seems kind of silly now that pot is legal, especially for such a minor offense)? I'm hoping that admissions will look at it and just laugh. It kind of reminds me of being charged with being a minor in possession of alcohol by consumption. Once your 21, the charge just looks silly (to me at least).

Anywho, what do y'all think? This is kind of one of those moral gray areas between law and ethics, and I'm having trouble seeing the right solution.

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" said:
    Should I still disclose? If so, how do I explain this now (it seems kind of silly now that pot is legal, especially for such a minor offense)? I'm hoping that admissions will look at it and just laugh. It kind of reminds me of being charged with being a minor in possession of alcohol by consumption. Once your 21, the charge just looks silly (to me at least).

Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, but just my own personal advice based off of talking to multiple admissions consultants.

Yes, you absolutely will need to and should disclose. The changing of the law will have no bearing on the charges you have already received. In effect, the new law will change nothing and you should disclose and explain the same way you would have. Take responsibility and avoid any innuendo about your own personal feelings of the crime itself being quite silly, a "minor offense" or you feeling "vindicated" now that the law has changed. Remember, weed is still illegal in most of the country and it certainly was when you were cited for it.

I would also try to avoid mentioning it was "your friends..." I'm going to take your word for it, but I would just say you were young, made a mistake, learned from it... blah blah blah. If the rest of your criminal record is clean, you're fine. More people have C&F issues than you know and get into great schools.

Personally, when it comes to C&F issues, I think your best bet is to enlist the help of an expert admissions consultant such as @david.busis . He can help you get the wording down and give you an explanation to recycle when you need to complete C&F portion of the bar exam.

That said, this isn't a big deal. If you write a good addendum It won't keep you out of any school(s) your numbers/academics would have precluded you from in the first place.

• Darth JuristDarth Jurist Member
    453 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    I would also try to avoid mentioning it was "your friends..." I'm going to take your word for it, but I would just say you were young, made a mistake, learned from it... blah blah blah.
    Haha, I know that sounds like the 'classic' excuse, but it's the honest truth. Either way, though, I know what you mean. I guess my scenario just represents a unique dichotomy for C&F issues. I guess it is better to disclose. I know bar apps look at that stuff and take it pretty seriously.

My only hope is that now that it has been legalized, they will look at it and show far less concern than they otherwise would have if it were still illegal.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited November 2016 23929 karma
    @"Darth Jurist" said:
    My only hope is that now that it has been legalized, they will look at it and show far less concern than they otherwise would have if it were still illegal.
    I can't really say one way or the other if the current legality will change the way they perceive it, but honestly, things like this are REALLY common. It seems like this was 3-5 years ago, in the past, and with a clean record since It won't be a big deal at all. The main thing admissions people care about is candor. Disclose and be honest and you're going to be fine!
  • SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Disclaimer: This is not legal advice, but just my own personal advice based off of talking to multiple admissions consultants.

Lol, the typical IANAL response.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @montaha.rizeq said:
    Lol, the typical IANAL response.
    Haha, not yet anyways, mwaha! ;)