Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone else stressed about the photo requirement?

I am scheduled to write the December 2016 LSAT. I am having some anxiety regarding the photo requirement. In my opinion, the photo fits the requirements. However, the photo was taken with an I-Phone 7 and although it is clear, I am still worried about the particular proctor I may encounter on test day that would say otherwise. I have read various forums and in general, people have have minimal trouble with the proctors accepting their photos.

However, I am worried that I might get that one proctor who gives me grief. Is there any way that an actual LSAC employee can confirm that my photo is acceptable? It is 326 pixels per inch, which is well above the minimum of 72 pixels per inch. If by chance that the photo is not accepted, can I bring a professionally taken passport photo as well as my passport and driver's licence as "back up."

I have read some horror stories regarding proctors who are uninformed about LSAC rules and turn students away or who also unnecessarily turn students away for minutiae that they deem unacceptable, in a pathetic attempt to exercise power. People who are taking the LSAT are usually under immense stress and have likely spent a good amount of money applying to law schools and paying LSAC registration fees. LSAC should make more concerted efforts so that the proctors (who are not LSAC employees) do not make arbitrary, subjective judgment calls. Honestly, the previous requirement of having a passport taken and then attached as a physical copy to the LSAT ticket was a much better option, in my opinion. The fact that they base so much on "the proctor's discretion" is just ridiculous to me. Can anyone share their experiences regarding the photo requirement? Is anyone else stressed about this or am I just being nuts?!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I agree with there being set rules and not leaving it up to the discretion of proctors who are in position to make seemingly arbitrary, subjective judgement calls...

I know SEVERAL (like 10+) people who took photos against a white back ground, with their iPhone, who were ultimately fine. The main thing is being able to see your face clearly, free of shadows and such. I think you'll be fine.
  • DEC_LSATDEC_LSAT Alum Member
    760 karma
    @"erica-m3" hey i have the same worry but i'm going to print mine out with colour to avoid the shadows in my photo (which i also took on my iPhone). i think colour will produce a better outcome. hope it helps.
  • Erinmaloney92Erinmaloney92 Member
    2 karma
    I had the same concerns when I took the September LSAT as well as a few others who took the test at the same time I did, but ultimately once I printed my ticket and compared it to my driver's license or other form of picture ID, it seemed appropriate enough that you could tell it was the same person. I wouldn't stress too much about that, unless it very clearly does not look like you, they aren't likely to question it.
  • steve-10steve-10 Alum Member
    192 karma
    My ticket with the iPhone 6s selfie looks a little better in color. Regardless, it is definitely a picture of me and not someone else.

If my ticket is rejected I will sue both the proctor and LSAC.

But the main thing is: The number of unlikely events that one can do nothing about is infinite. Throw this one back on the pile.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"steve-10" said:
    If my ticket is rejected I will sue both the proctor and LSAC.
    Damn, dude! You aren't playing games....haha!
    @"steve-10" said:
    But the main thing is: The number of unlikely events that one can do nothing about is infinite. Throw this one back on the pile.
    I like this perspective a lot. Truer words were perhaps never spoken.
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    I agree that giving proctors some inkling of self-proclaimed power is ridiculous, but I'm with Steve-10 on this one. I'll be doing the same if the proctor tries to reject my melon's picture.

I took mine with my iPhone, and white background. My head looks HUGE for some weird reason. A blind man could see the detail and compare it to my license to know that it is the same giant melon (think Charlie Brown punkin head) showing up for the form of self-flagellation.

I've gone to such lengths to study for the test, if a proctor doesn't know this then they're truly clueless, two picture IDs are more than enough to show that I want to torture myself further.

Time to crush this bedamnedable test!