Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conclusion questions

emilycyoung1emilycyoung1 Free Trial Member
in General 234 karma
For LR questions asking you to express the main point or the conclusion, how do you know when the answer is going to state the exact conclusion sentence in the stimulus or if the question wants you the conclusion that comes from combining the premises and expressing what the argument is saying overall? I can elaborate if this makes no sense but I feel like with some conclusion questions the answer is basically a restatement of the particular conclusion sentence in the argument but for other questions it's looking for me to combine the premises and overall conclude what the argument is getting at.

Comments

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited November 2016 10789 karma
    Hey @emilycyoung1 : )

I think I know what you mean. I have thought about this before as well. The only thing I came up with is, you cannot possibly predict beforehand if they are going to combine the conclusion with a bit of premise in the answer choices. The only thing we can do is keep the conclusion in mind and go through the answer choices, and then pick our answer choice regardless of the form the test makers write it in.

Let me know if I missed what you were actually asking <3
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27859 karma
    Yeah, they can really have fun with these sometimes when they decide they want to try and create a curve breaker out of a Conclusion question. It doesn't happen often, lol, but I've seen a few attempts. I think @Sami pretty much covered it. There's nothing in the question stem that's going to clue you in on which way they're going. Just ID the conclusion and if they do throw a bit of premise in, just make sure that part's accurate as well.