Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finish up every problem set for each section of curriculum or move on to the next module?

cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
in General 190 karma
Hey everyone!

I started the core curriculum on Sept. 26th and so far I've only completed about 10 percent of all the curriculum. I'm currently on the Weakening/Causation questions which are giving me a hard time. I'm a junior/senior in undergrad and I'm planning to take the June 2017 exam. However, I feel that I'm moving too slowly because I have to balance out all my other work while putting in 2 to 3 hours 4 to 5 days a week of prep. When I do study, I'm usually doing question problem sets in which I manage to complete only a few because I take a lot of time typing everything up in a word doc while blind reviewing to fully comprehend the problem (which I truly recommend because it really does help with learning). Should I take it slow and keep doing this, or should I just move on to another section and try to finish the core curriculum as my main priority? I have 7 months until the June LSAT, but at this pace it seems as if I'm never going to finish the core curriculum in time to start doing practice tests lol.

I know some of you will tell me to just go at it slowly and take my time and wait until I'm at my target score, even if it means taking a year off after undergrad. I have seriously considered this and it is an actual possibility for me. However, I'm graduating undergrad a bit behind as it is, and delaying law school will only extend my years of schooling into my late twenties which I truly would not like to do (I just want to work!!). What do you guys think?

Comments

• Burt MacklinBurt Macklin Alum Member
    170 karma
    Think it depends on your proficiency for types of questions. I think that if you're confident in your skills and doing well on the problem sets then push forward in the core curriculum (CC). Once you finish the CC and begin taking timed PT you can use those additional problem sets to drill questions you're not good at. Wanna say I read a post by Pacifico about this but I wasn't able to find it.

However, others on the forum say do all: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/8434

• twssmithtwssmith Alum
    5120 karma
    @"Burt Macklin" said:
    I read a post by Pacifico about this but I wasn't able to find it.

Yes, I know the post as well and his advice which I highly recommend was to do just enough problem sets until you felt comfortable with the lesson concept and then save the rest for drilling during the PT phase. Be honest with yourself about your understanding and then and only then move on to the next lesson.
    @cm214998 said:
    I take a lot of time typing everything up in a word doc while blind reviewing to fully comprehend the problem
    Great job on your process and Yes! it will serve you well when you get to the PT phase:) I sense a feeling of frustration at your pace, but your time spent now will save you significant amounts of time later when you do not have to redo the curriculum later because you flew through it too fast which is a very common mistake - Keep at it!!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @cm214998 said:
    Should I take it slow and keep doing this, or should I just move on to another section and try to finish the core curriculum as my main priority? I have 7 months until the June LSAT, but at this pace it seems as if I'm never going to finish the core curriculum in time to start doing practice tests lol.
    Keep it slow and steady. Don't move on until you understand what you need to.
    @cm214998 said:
    I know some of you will tell me to just go at it slowly and take my time and wait until I'm at my target score, even if it means taking a year off after undergrad. I have seriously considered this and it is an actual possibility for me. However, I'm graduating undergrad a bit behind as it is, and delaying law school will only extend my years of schooling into my late twenties which I truly would not like to do (I just want to work!!). What do you guys think?
    I think you should focus on your grades now and set a test date for whenever you are ready. Who knows if you'll be ready by June? If you're not ready, you're not ready. I think if you want to work you should study hard for the LSAT, get into a good law school, and then you'll be able to get almost any legal job you want. However, on the flip side of that coin, rushing to take the LSAT and scoring poorly will almost certainly lead you to a poorly ranked law school with terrible employment stats.

I also think that you should take time off before law school to get work experience and see if being an attorney is what you actually want to do. Find a job as a paralegal or law clerk somewhere. Either way, work experience will look great to admissions officers. Most importantly, it will help you get a job out of law school. Something that doesn't often get discussed a lot is how hard it is for many K-JDs to secure jobs after law school. Legal employers always prefer candidates who have a couple years work experience under their belt to those who don't.

• cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma
    @"Burt Macklin" @twssmith Saving the problem sets for future study sounds like a great idea, I'll have to try that from now on, especially while still early in my prep.
  • cm214998cm214998 Alum Member
    190 karma
    @"Alex Divine" You know man, you're absolutely right. I know pretty deep in my heart that I want to be a lawyer. There's no doubt about that in my mind which is the absolute reason why I shouldn't rush this. I should take as much time as I need to make sure that I can score high enough to have a chance for an incredible legal education. With that, I'll have the chance to be a great lawyer, not an average one. 170 vs. a 165 is a huge difference, especially when it comes to careers and earning potential. And besides, what's a few years anyways? I'll keep studying for the June LSAT but I won't make it an end goal. I'll keep plowing along, slow and steady. Thanks for the advice!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @cm214998 said:
    @"Alex Divine" You know man, you're absolutely right. I know pretty deep in my heart that I want to be a lawyer. There's no doubt about that in my mind which is the absolute reason why I shouldn't rush this. I should take as much time as I need to make sure that I can score high enough to have a chance for an incredible legal education. With that, I'll have the chance to be a great lawyer, not an average one. 170 vs. a 165 is a huge difference, especially when it comes to careers and earning potential. And besides, what's a few years anyways? I'll keep studying for the June LSAT but I won't make it an end goal. I'll keep plowing along, slow and steady. Thanks for the advice!
    No problem!

Love the mindset and attitude - it will take you far!

A big theory of mine is that almost anyone decently smart can prep hard and do well on the LSAT. However, so few people are willing to grind and put in the time. Often these same people will be the ones who go to poorly ranked schools and fail the bar and ultimately end up unemployed. That is why the LSAT is such a good predictor of success. Aside from evaluating your reasoning/reading abilities, it also evaluates your ability to dedicate yourself to your studies and work hard.

Good luck!