Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Down the rabbit hole: My existential battle with RC

LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
edited December 2016 in Reading Comprehension 104 karma
This is long, rambly story of going from about a -14 on RC to -4 on RC because I stopped being stubborn.

So a couple of days ago I had a substantial RC meltdown. Basically a whole bunch of events transpired that more or less showed me what I needed to do to help my RC. Here are the events that kind of resulted in me learning how to do RC more efficiently.

Until about four days ago, out of the practice tests I have completed, I had maybe gotten 2/4 passages completed on RC (Averaging about 12-15 minutes per passage – no joke). Even when I tried to do J.Y.’s memory method I would just sit there thinking “I just can’t do it, J.Y.! I’m just not smart enough!” (if you don’t think J.Y. is omniscient, you’re doing the course wrong).

Then, I did one passage and got ¾ passages done on a prep-test with one sneaky line reference question completed in the last passage. I heralded as a huge success thinking, okay. This means I’m getting faster at reading.

Correlation vs. Causation anyone?

After doing some R.C. drills (at my same obnoxiously slow pace), this was quickly disproved.

Then I just started experiencing dread at the myth that people can’t get higher on RC easily (or even at all, as some will tell you). And here I was, doing my drills, sometimes spending up to ten minutes just reading the darn thing.

Then things just spiraled out of control; I freaked out and asked the Internet.

In doing so, I found this article, https://lsathacks.com/email-course/reading-comprehension/. I took the reading speed test the article tells you to and I read it at the same speed I’d been reading LSAT questions. Basically the thing just confirmed I was like dial-up internet when it came to reading speed (although of course, my comprehension was super high because I was reading so darn slow).

The speed test told me I was in the "insufficient" category of readers. I thought, “Insufficient? Screw you online reading test! Your website is insufficient. I read Derrida. My Master’s thesis has 250 references -- I had to read all of those. My whole job revolves around editing and making recommendations on doctoral dissertations and master’s theses. There’s no way I’m an insufficient reader… Is there?”

But there was no way I could think to RRE this apparent paradox.

So I resigned myself to believing I had an irretrievably FMOR and gave in to crippling self-doubt, tabbed back to the article, mortified, thinking “save me from this death.” The article said I was probably “subvocalizing” (a word for pronouncing each word as you’re reading) as I was subvocalizing – super meta. It said smart people didn’t do that.

Mortified at the thought that I had been doing this very thing basically most of my life, the article said I should use Spreeder (basically an app that flashes words across the screen at a certain number of WPM and you can use it to increase your number of WPM and so that you can learn not to subvocalize).

So, I loaded some pretty dense material on Spreeder. For ten minutes I spreeded (hmmm… spred? sprud?) at different speeds. After my ten minutes were up, and before I continued with my spreeding like a time-wasting buffoon, I figured I should look in the LSAT forums and see what other people said about Spreeder.

Lo and behold, J.Y. had already chimed in on it (he’s omniscient, remember?):
If you're running out of time on RC, it's not because you can't read the passage fast enough. It's because you're waffling b/t answers. You do that because you don't read well - be it the passage, the question stem, or the answers. Focus on reading well. Focus on reading for structure. Advice on how to read faster targets casual reading. If you've done any RC at all you'll know all too well that the speed limit is not set by how quickly your eyes can move across the page, how many words your eyes can snap in one shot, or whether you're subvocalizing. Rather, the speed limit is set by lack of subject-matter familiarity and the dense grammatical structure.
I thought, “So magic doesn’t exist. Great. I still can’t read well so basically I’m just screwed.”

Then I tentatively tried to look up LSAT RC reading structures (look them up in the forums – there are some really interesting ones). They gave me some insight, but no cheat sheet in the world was going to help with my problem.

Crestfallen, I returned to my RC drills. I tried to use the highlighter method posted up here earlier by @kylereinhard, hoping that the effervescent yellow stain would incite some inner RC warrior like it had for him. Long story short, I took 8 minutes on the stimulus and 4 minutes on the questions. And I got three wrong. Well, a girl can dream. (Not bashing his method. Try this -- maybe it'll work for you).

Crushed, I tried to look for happy stories in the Webinar section of people who did awesome things after being not so awesome. I found Allison Gill Sanford’s webinar https://7sage.com/webinar/lsat-prep-for-170-plus/ and jumped to the part where she talked about RC. In the webinar, she said, “I would spend way too much time up front on the easy passages…” Which was exactly how I felt. Then (and I’m pretty sure it was her who said this, or maybe it was something I saw in the Trainer, which I looked in after listening to her webinar), which basically said we should try to keep our reading rate more or less constant over our different stimuli and then also replicate this in the practice test (obviously with allowances for harder passages).

So I figured, ok. If I am going to succeed at RC maybe I should just try to read at a speed that will just get me there on time. So, there are maybe 440 words per RC section. If you read in 2 minutes, that means 220 words per minute. If you read in three minutes, that’s 146 words per minute. I knew what it felt like to read at both of those speeds because I had spreeded earlier that day – which showed me that I could read, comfortably, at both of those rates.

So, I decided: I’m going to ‘spreed’ the stimuli (not in the Spreeder app, just on the page but at the same rate as I would read had they been in the spreeder set to 220), using J.Y.’s memory method, for one RC section. I grabbed my analog watch and set it to zero, and-ahem-spreeded the passage until 3:30. Then did a 30 second review of structure. Then answered the question until the full 8 minutes was up. Then went onto the next one. And so on.

Results of the first try:

-4 (And this time, not -4 thanks to guesses!) -- obviously a significant difference for me.

And since I was actually able to focus on the problems (which I’ve since noticed, thanks to BRs and this method, are more so with the questions than with the actual passage itself), I’m improving on RC now just as if it was LR!

Moral:

If you’re like me and you’re doing RC like a sloth because you basically misunderstand everything everyone says because you are some sort of backwards and self-destructive over-achiever (and/or you’re just inherently defiant to omniscient authorities even when they are one hundred percent correct), then maybe just run over quickly to Spreedster, prove to yourself you can read faster than you are right now, come back, and ‘spreed’ it.

I’m not saying skim it. Just read it at a faster rate. For 3:30 or 4 minutes or less. As J.Y. pointed out earlier, don’t worry about subvocalizing or anything like that right now either. You can become a non-subvocalizing speed reader at a different time if that’s really your passion, but I’m not so sure the RC section is the time for it unless you have like ten years to prepare or something.

Anyways. I hope this is helpful to somebody so that they don’t go through the whole ridiculous situation I just went through.

Keep calm and carry on!

*P.s. Don’t mean to insinuate that the article mentioned above can’t be helpful to some folks! Maybe it is the secret way to victory and I'll just never really know.

Comments

• edited December 2016 524 karma
    Thanks for writing this - it was so helpful! I also read and write a lot, but am very slow at RC (I like to make sure I read every word and carefully evaluate each sentence), so this has been a big source of frustration for me. And, I do think that subvocalization is the problem and I most likely wouldn't have figured that out if I hadn't read your post! I'll try out Spreeder and do more research on subvocalization. Thank you for sharing!
  • bbutlerbbutler Inactive ⭐
    401 karma
    Thank you so much for posting this! RC is my worst section primarily because of time and inconsistencies!
  • LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
    104 karma
    Glad it was helpful @"bbutler" and @"Lauren L" :)
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Definitely going to try this "Spreeder" figure it can't help!

Thank you for sharing your story @Lnanncampbell !
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    We could be twins @Lnanncampbell! I'm trying to figure out the same RC problems! THANK YOU for posting such helpful detail!! *bookmarking this thread*

I'm going to "Spreeder" this instant!

(PS your BR worksheet has helped me TREMENDOUSLY!)
  • Q.E.DQ.E.D Alum Member
    556 karma
    I quite enjoyed your story, and I think it will be encouraging to many folks around here struggling with RC. Gotta say, though, I'm a big reader and I always play what I'm reading like a monologue in my head. It's probably not far off a spoken pace. Time is tight in RC, but I do all right (-0/-1). Speeding up and slowing down never pay (for me).

Reminds me of a quote attributed to Woody Alan:
    I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @Lnanncampbell I'm happy to have stumbled across your post. I read that post you mentioned as well and the clouds of heaven did not part and magically improve my score, bummer! I've scored -3 on RC, untimed and probably -30 timed, so I'll try anything at this point. First I need to Google subvoca whatever yall keep mentioning! I'm going to Spreeder and I'll report back. I'd be interested in hearing others take as well. Thx!
  • Bevs ScooterMinionBevs ScooterMinion Alum Member
    1018 karma
    @tanes256 - I've worked with Spreeder for a few days now, and have increased my speed as well as comprehension from 190wpm to 386wpm. A marked improvement and I desperately needed any improvement, even if only a little. Such an improvement in only a few days is enough to sell me to keep on "spreeding."

I'm not saying Spreeder is for everyone---I noticed that my comprehension is much better at higher speeds when I'm: well-rested and focusing completely (neither happen every single day). As I'm sure everyone's is. And some days are better than others, but I figure it cannot hurt. I was at the point that if I read any slower than I was, I would be staring blankly at the page and not reading. lol

Spreeder's free version lets you cut and paste any text you want into it. At spreeder.com--the box on the top right that states: "Paste the text you'd like to speed read here:" Copy and paste any size text, click "spreed!", then it will take you to a window where you can change settings and click play--it's really that simple (sometimes it remembers my settings, even when I quit the browser).

I put some of my emails, or blogs I want to know more about quickly, into it to catch up on emails (ones that don't contain person or sensitive info), so I kill two birds with one rock = get some of my emails read and improve my reading speed and comprehension. Win! Win!

I hope Spreeder helps you too! Keep us posted!
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    @ScooterMinion i love it! This is promising. Hopefully I can get to it tonight!
  • LnanncampbellLnanncampbell Alum Member
    104 karma
    I was at the point that if I read any slower than I was, I would be staring blankly at the page and not reading. lol
    Exactly how I was feeling @ScooterMinion hahaha. Definitely no fun. And good luck @tanes256!!! I believe in you! And great quote @Q.E.D!!! It's so important that we're not 'reading' faster than we comprehend when trying this tactic haha.
  • phelanj75phelanj75 Alum Member
    279 karma
    i got 323 wpm and 82% accuracy .. RC is my best section , although I've never gotten above --5 or 6 on any pt to this point.