Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cancel December and Apply with only February LSAT?

Fin_de_SiecleFin_de_Siecle Free Trial Member
edited December 2016 in Law School Admissions 20 karma
Need advice on whether to keep this December score or apply with a February score alone for this cycle.

Took the test for the first time on December 3 but it did not go well, partly for physical reasons. Was not a complete and unmitigated disaster but was not close to target, for sure.

Applying this cycle. The December score can likely (though not 100% guaranteed, we can only estimate our score roughly of course) get me into most of the schools I have already applied to earlier in the fall in Canada (they are just waiting for the December score to come out), but I am also applying to T6 in the US using my February score, which I know will be higher.

All schools (in both countries) I am applying to will look at February score (with the exception of certain T6 schools we know who they are), but for half of them it will put me at a disadvantage because of late completion of the file, and the other half not.

I am debating between 1) keeping my December score and get in somewhere first but leaving a low score on my record, or 2) cancel December and just use February alone.

The chief advantage for 1) is I will likely have a few offers before March, perhaps even in January, and ultimately I guess it is the higher score that counts. The good thing for 2) is that there will be no record of a low score, and I tend to think that "cancellation & 172+" will look better than "something in the 'what's going on' range & 172+" to T6 when the February score comes out in early March.

(And needless to say, if my PT is not at 172+ by the February test date, I will just not apply to T6 this cycle. My GPA is around T6 median, and softs in their range too.)

Thank you!

Comments

• Vickpetrosian1Vickpetrosian1 Free Trial Member
    139 karma
    In your case I'd say cancel but be weary of feburary test I've taken it and it was strange nonetheless less ... somewhat easy but leaves you wondering if it was too easy if you know what I mean ... but if you feel like you cracked the 170 you should be fine and should keep it
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    I wouldn't cancel. To me, it seems like you are just experiencing normal post-test waiting nerves. I bet you did a lot better than you expected!
  • Fin_de_SiecleFin_de_Siecle Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    @Vickpetrosian1 Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I'm 100% sure I didn't crack the 170 on the December one :(
    20 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Thanks for the encouragement. It was my first time taking it so I guess as you said I am just experiencing certain things a bit. But I did have to leave the test room for bathroom during one of the scored sections though, although it was only for 4-5 minutes, still something that really should not have happened. Bottom line is that I'm sure it was not within my target range, and I'm just worried that having something like that on record will significant hurt my chance for T6 even if the February score is good enough.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    @"Fin_de_Siecle" said:
    Bottom line is that I'm sure it was not within my target range, and I'm just worried that having something like that on record will significant hurt my chance for T6 even if the February score is good enough.
    Outside of Y, it doesn't really seem like schools take into consideration much other than your highest score, even within the T6. I know NYU still claim they average scores, but I see on MyLSN.info abundant data that plenty of people got in with higher retakes. Also, I think you'll ultimately be okay either way. Its not like you bombed and got a 140 instead of a 170, you know? That might raise some eyebrows. But 5 points are so lower won't kill your chances anywhere.
    20 karma
    @"Alex Divine" Thanks, this is reassuring and informative.

"Outside of Y, it doesn't really seem like schools take into consideration much other than your highest score"

I vaguely remember reading somewhere on this forum this Y really does care about more than one take (apparently regardless of whether your first take is a low score or a cancellation, so it doesn't matter in my case either way because I've already written it lol?)

Can you expand just a bit on what sources/information do you base this statement on? I couldn't find any validation for this apparent preference but of course you guys might have more data/anecdotal evidence than I do to support it.
  • lawschoolstuff16lawschoolstuff16 Alum Member
    328 karma
    I would say cancel if you're positive that your Feb LSAT score will be higher. I agree that a cancellation + a "172" looks better than a "whats going on here" + "172". You could still write an addendum for both: the cancellation could say you knew that conditions were not going well for you, you were aware of the situation and how your performance was, and you made the responsible decision of cancelling your score and taking it in february where you were certain to have things stabilized. your addendum for the non-cancellation could talk about personal/intellectual growth and maturity and how you learned from your mistakes.

i prefer the cancellation -- but you can frame both in a way that won't damage you.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Fin_de_Siecle" said:
    Can you expand just a bit on what sources/information do you base this statement on? I couldn't find any validation for this apparent preference but of course you guys might have more data/anecdotal evidence than I do to support it.
    Sure,
    Well Yale and NYU straight up have it on their websites that they average the LSATs. However, you can go to Mylsn.info and look at people's profiles who have got admitted to Y or NYU and see that very few Y people were admitted with retakes, whereas many NYU people seem to be. So it seems safe to deduce that Y takes their policy more seriously and NYU...not so much.

But like I was saying, you'll also see that with the NYU retakers, it isn't like they scored a 145 on their first take and then a 173. It was more like a 164 rejection and a 170 retake that got them in. I'm not sure how much if any the test discrepancies have to do with it, but its certainly interesting.
    328 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    But like I was saying, you'll also see that with the NYU retakers, it isn't like they scored a 145 on their first take and then a 173. It was more like a 164 rejection and a 170 retake that got them in.
    This 100%. I've personally spoken with a lot of candidates at NYU/Yale who got in about their repeat LSAT scores and I haven't talked to anyone who scored less than 165 on a take.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @lawschoolstuff16 said:
    This 100%. I've personally spoken with a lot of candidates at NYU/Yale who got in about their repeat LSAT scores and I haven't talked to anyone who scored less than 165 on a take.
    Yeah, exactly! Which worries me because I really want Y, lol. But you're so right about not seeing anyone under a 165 on a take...
    328 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Which worries me because I really want Y
    Don't be worried! it won't necessarily disqualify you as long as you have a strong addenda explaining, and show a big jump in your scores. I talked to one guy on TLS who told me he took three lsat takes, a 165, 166 and then a 173 and still got into NYU (with a lower GPA, might I add). I haven't really looked into Yale applicants but asking around certainly wouldn't hurt!
    20 karma
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the input.

This is such tough choice, especially considering that applying this late in the cycle (Feb LSAT score projection date March 2) to T6 is already kind of playing against the odds regardless of whether a lower first take is present.