Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Course offerings in law school

texvd1988texvd1988 Member
in General 605 karma
Not sure if any of you guys have clue, but do you guys know how attendance and course offerings work in law schools?

My wife went to med school and they had a pretty loose scheduling system. All of their lectures were placed online, and were available in powerpoint. More importantly, they had a mandatory rule of needing to be in class 75% of the time.

The reason I ask this is mostly because there is a chance I have to travel away from home to go to law school, and will be driving 3 to 4 hours on the weekends to visit my wife (and dogs!!).

Obviously, I don't want to miss classes, but an ideal scenario would be one where I go to class Monday through Thursday and can get home thursday night and come back Sunday.

Does law school scheduling have flexibility like the mentioned flexibility of some med school programs, and do we get to decide our schedule in the second or third year like we did in undergrad?

Comments

• desire2learndesire2learn Member
    1171 karma
    It depends on the law school. Each one will have different parameters.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @vduran1988 said:
    Does law school scheduling have flexibility like the mentioned flexibility of some med school programs, and do we get to decide our schedule in the second or third year like we did in undergrad?
    1L you don't get to choose your classes for the most part. You're placed into a section and your class times are set for you. (This might be different at certain schools, not sure)

2L/3L you for sure can miss class and make your own schedule.

Like Desire2Learn says, it depends on the school. There is an ABA rule that students must have a mandatory number of hours in-class during law school.... Not sure on the specifics, though, so you'll have to check that you. I have heard of a few horror stories of people not being able to graduate because of it on Above The Law.