Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Avg pts gained

TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
edited December 2016 in General 690 karma
If you've taken two LSAT exams back to back, did you see a increase or decrease in your score? By how many points? Is there an average number of points that repeat LSAT takers gain or lose?

Comments

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma
    I lost 1 point on my attempt to go back to back, lol. There is technically an average, but I strongly suspect that it's completely arbitrary.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    10774 karma
    So I did back to back PT's early in my prep for a while to get in the rhythm for LSAT and my second PT was always higher by 5 points or more! Back then I didn't understand that phenomena and felt so puzzled about it. Looking back I realize that I never warmed up. So when I took my first PT my brain was slow and still warming up. But by the time the second PT would come around my brain was all fired up!

Lesson that I learned: now I always take a good 3 or 4 section timed warm up before I actually take a Practice test. This always includes 1 LR, 1LG, and 1RC section.
  • SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited December 2016 10774 karma
    P.S. I just realized you meant REAL LSAT taken in a sequential order. I am sorry. I would delete that comment but there is no delete button. So ummm just disregard the comment above <3 <3 <3 lol
  • SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma
    I read on the Cornell application page that most people that retake the LSAT do not see an increase higher than 1 or 2 points. I thought it was an interesting factoid and it stuck with me. I can't speak as to what data/source they were referencing.
  • TheLoftGuyTheLoftGuy Alum Member
    edited December 2016 690 karma
    I felt like I did much better in December.
    @SherryS1 said:
    I read on the Cornell application page that most people that retake the LSAT do not see an increase higher than 1 or 2 points. I thought it was an interesting factoid and it stuck with me. I can't speak as to what data/source they were referencing.
    Yes, I would like to check the sources. That seems very ridiculous.
    @Sami said:
    P.S. I just realized you meant REAL LSAT taken in a sequential order. I am sorry. I would delete that comment but there is no delete button. So ummm just disregard the comment above <3 <3 <3 lol
    That was still very good information.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    Most people who see a significant increase after only preparing for an additional 1-2 months probably tanked one or more of the sections on the previous LSAT.
    @MrSamIam said:
    Most people who see a significant increase after only preparing for an additional 1-2 months probably tanked one or more of the sections on the previous LSAT.
    this seems more in line with what I have been reading since the other poster said 1 pt per Cornell app.
  • TheDesertGrandfatherTheDesertGrandfather Free Trial Member
    116 karma
    I think this would depend a lot on the person. For instance, I have a buddy who took the LSAT only to score a 158 (he was aiming for a 167+). He then studied for about 6 months and ended up scoring a 169 on his next sitting. However, I also know of people who improve 1-2 points between sittings. If you really think you did much better, I bet you did :) Don't let any numbers like "people only improve 1-2 points" scare you are discourage you.
  • SherryS1SherryS1 Member
    477 karma
    I felt like I did much better in December.
    @TheLoftGuy I'm sure you did :) That seems to be the trend with 7sagers who are generally a mindful bunch when it comes to retakes. I'd definitely trust your instincts.

I'm guessing that wherever the Cornell data was pulling from, it likely inclusive of very broad group of people. It may be that most people only increase 1 or 2 points but then again the average score is also a 150. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @SherryS1 said:
    I'm guessing that wherever the Cornell data was pulling from, it likely inclusive of very broad group of people. It may be that most people only increase 1 or 2 points but then again the average score is also a 150. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.
    Exactly Sherry! This is what I was thinking. The average LSAT taker shouldn't be going to law school considering the average score is a 150. So the 1-2 point increase is an essentially useless stat for most people on this forum who are all aiming higher.
    Luckily I've already passes the average score and seeking a mere 8 pts increase. Based on the December exam I'm sure I got what I needed and more. Just a few more days to wait.