Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disadvantage Addendum?

in General 308 karma
Hey guys, so one of the schools I'm applying to has an optional section called disadvantage addendum and the prompt says "Please describe the socio-economic disadvantages you have overcome." How long should these be? What sorts of things are included in this? I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks!

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bumping this so more people see it!
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Artak Mamikonyan" said:
    How long should these be? What sorts of things are included in this? I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks!
    Sounds like a page should be fine. Just describe the ways you have overcome being poor (growing up poor, going to a poorly funded school, being on welfare, etc) If you haven't overcome socio-economical disadvantages, probably best to not force anything.

HTH

• SprinklesSprinkles Alum Member
    11542 karma
    @"Alex Divine" said:
    Sounds like a page should be fine. Just describe the ways you have overcome being poor (growing up poor, going to a poorly funded school, being on welfare, etc) If you haven't overcome socio-economical disadvantages, probably best to not force anything.
    Yep, pretty much this. Don't exceed one page!
  • David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7272 karma
    +2 on @"Alex Divine" . One page works. If you can, tell a short narrative: this is what my life was like, and this what I learned/this is how it affected my outlook/this is how I overcame it. Illustrate your circumstances with a specific detail or two. For example, "Our car was so rickety that we joked it was close to exploding and nicknamed it 'The Bomb.'"