Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what's the jury on Pre law Summer programs? (free)

Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
edited December 2016 in General 261 karma
Dear 7 Sagers,

I need to get your opinion on something. Recently I've been looking into Pre Law programs for the summer that are free of tuition for college students and am thinking about applying. However, from what I'm hearing, they aren't that important to getting into a law school and I could just work over the summer in the lab I work at instead. (I'm studying Bio)

Are these programs worth applying to? Theres few of them to begin with as to be expected. I'm taking the LSAT this Feb for the first time and want to make sure I have time to continue studying in the event I need to retake it in September this year.

Let me know what you think and thank you!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited December 2016 23929 karma
    I'd pass on it. Experts generally say they aren't worth it. Focus on the LSAT and your GPA. There's conclusive evidence that Pre-Law majors/minors don't, as a whole, do that great in law school compared to other majors. So I doubt taking a class or two will help much. In law school, classes are really professor dependent and your success in them will in a large part be based on your ability to figure out what they in particular want. Taking an UG con law class or something like that might not be a bad idea though. Also, I've heard many law school students mention they wish they had taken a business course or two to understand some of the nomenclature.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    Also, will these free classes count for credit? Might be a cheap and interesting way to boost your GPA if you need it!
  • Shireen Bhatia-1Shireen Bhatia-1 Alum Member
    261 karma
    @"Alex Divine" I'll look into that! Thank you. I'm not sure if they do as of yet.
  • AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma
    @"Shireen Bhatia-1" said:
    @"Alex Divine" I'll look into that! Thank you. I'm not sure if they do as of yet.
    Yeah, no problem! :)