Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Logic Game Inferences

joshua.braniajoshua.brania Alum Member

Hello,

I have been really struggling to get a grasp over Logic Games. I sat the LSAT in September and completely messed up everything related to LG. So I have two questions, any advice would be awesome :)

1. How do you avoid freezing/having a mental blank that completely ruins the whole section? AND

2. Any tips to make sure that you have made all possible inferences when drawing up your game board?

Thanks and good luck!

Josh

Comments

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma
    1. For mental blanks, listen to the advice of wise JY. Put your pencil down, close your eyes, take three deep breaths and see the weird LG as a fun challenge rather than something that will destroy your life.

2. Re-read all the rules, combining them as you go. Although making all the inferences help, I noticed that making all possible inferences is by no means necessary for acing a LG section. Its more about making big deductions in the game whenever they are available.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@"joshua.brania" said:
    Hello,

I have been really struggling to get a grasp over Logic Games. I sat the LSAT in September and completely messed up everything related to LG. So I have two questions, any advice would be awesome :)

1. How do you avoid freezing/having a mental blank that completely ruins the whole section? AND

2. Any tips to make sure that you have made all possible inferences when drawing up your game board?

Thanks and good luck!

Josh

1. To avoid freezing up, I recommend slowing down and having a set, consistent strategy that you follow. I agree with @westcoastbestcoast about reading the rules first with your pencil down. Make your first read all about understanding what is going on with the game. Use this first read through to visualize what your set up is going to look like. It also helps to look and see if there is a standard acceptable situation question. These often can give us some good insight into what the game board may look like.

2. I just always consider how the rules interact one by one. To help with this I would suggest writing each rule down one by one and eliminating answers from the acceptable situation question (if there is one). This will give you time to deal with the rules one and one and see how they interact with each other.

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma

Inferences help you get through the games quicker. They save time. You can still be successful at completing games without drawing out all the inferences upfront. It’s happened to me plenty of times. Keep watching the videos and you’ll get better at drawing out inferences through repetition. Making Inferences really is just combining the rules and confirming or excluding certain scenarios. Pay attention to when slots are filled or closed, not both and or rules, be fluid in knowing when rules trigger and when they fall away, chain rules when possible and be conscious of their contrapositives, etc. Remember all the basics of LG and logic and try to combine as much as possible.