Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Words of encouragement anyone?

booyboobooyboo Alum Member
in General 36 karma

Can someone please tell me a story where they took the diagnostic and scored like, low 130s, but after months of studying improved drastically? I read a forum of people taking the diagnostic and scoring over 155 and I just feel like crap right now haha. I realize some people are naturally gifted when it comes to the LSAT, and I am happy for them, but I am not one of those people. I'm really struggling here. Just BR an LR section and only got 11 questions right.

Comments

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Hey - I'm sorry that you are feeling down. I'm a low scorer too and often I get really down about it and wonder how I'm going to get any better. I found that the only way I can get better is to study and study and study... and then study some more. I must have reviewed the sufficient assumption videos at least three times now! And, I honestly think that people like us with low scores need more than a few months to get better. There are people on this board who have scored low and have progressively gotten better.

Have a realistic expectation of the schools you want to go to. And if you want a T14 school then you'll need the 170+ and that will take time to achieve. Plan it out and go for that big goal. It is extremely frustrating at times when we get only a few right but give it time and keep practicing. If you are in the low 130's then I would give myself another 9 months to a year to see where you are at. You may be able to consider the September/December test but don't rush it!! I rushed it and now have a crappy official score.

Also - your attitude is huge on this. Try to keep a "fighting" attitude because once you start with the "i can't do it" then its hard to come out of it. Good luck and please, please believe in yourself. You are the only one that can bring yourself out of this crappy feeling.

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    edited January 2018 903 karma

LSAT 80, 145, now I'm scoring in the mid 160s consistently. It took months and months and months. Literally thousands of hours. I imagine all told Ive prob spent around 2,500 hours working on and learning this test. Around 6-9 hours a day 4-6 days a week for over a year. A few minutes ago I just tried the notorious bus game (36.4.3) for the first time and got it in 7 minutes. So, it can be done. Hit up the CC a lot, and spend as much time as you can BRing. Watch all the webinars, know all the valid/invalid arg types like the back of your hand. Drill the Suff/Nec every day. It takes time but it can be done. If I can do it anyone can.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

Also - if you are BR-ing a whole LR section and getting 11 right then perhaps you need to go back to the basics. Reviewing the videos again - specially for those questions that are giving you trouble.

• Eric25Eric25 Member
    edited January 2018 720 karma

If I could say one sentence it would be: your diagnostic score has absolutely zero representation of your potential to do well on this test. This IS a learnable test, it's all about giving it hard work and time. Everyone has the potential to achieve a fantastic score, whether they started at a 130 or 150, doesnt matter!

• Michael MaMichael Ma Alum Member
    186 karma

First, you should remember that the LSAT is not a proxy for intelligence or aptitude. Like all standardized tests, it can be learned and mastered. I honestly wouldn’t put too much stock into your diagnostic, and if you go through the old threads you’ll see plenty of people seeing huge increases. Good luck!

• Paul PedersonPaul Pederson Member
    903 karma

There is a vast wealth of info on this site, the webinars and forums are a gold mine for LSAT info.

• pioneer321pioneer321 Free Trial Member
    328 karma

I didn't take a true diagnostic, but estimate it to have been somewhere low 140s. Got 176 on the actual exam (although it took me two takes). You can do it! Just got to keep pushing!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

I got a a 140 on my first practice test and this was after doing Powerscore LG Bible months before. Im pretty sure I wouldve gotten a high 130s on my cold diagnostic. I ended up with a 161 and it took about 2 years to get there.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@booyboo said:
    Can someone please tell me a story where they took the diagnostic and scored like, low 130s, but after months of studying improved drastically? I read a forum of people taking the diagnostic and scoring over 155 and I just feel like crap right now haha. I realize some people are naturally gifted when it comes to the LSAT, and I am happy for them, but I am not one of those people. I'm really struggling here. Just BR an LR section and only got 11 questions right.

My first diagnostic I literally missed 17 questions on LG. On top of that, I think the 6 I got correct were mostly guesses, haha. June 07': It's still under my analytics, and every time I go back and look at that test, I remember that we truly decide what score we can achieve!

Diagnostic scores matter about as much as the first time you try to solve a Rubik's cube. Until you learn the strategies, you can't really expect to do that well. But once you learn the techniques, you will find your goals are much easier to achieve.