Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Within reach, but out of time...

Hi everyone!

I've been studying with 7Sage since October while working full-time, going through the Core Curriculum lessons after work (spending about 3-4 hours per day). I started writing timed PTs in mid-December, and I've completed about 20 of them to date. My average score is 157, with my highest being 159. My target is 160, but of course I would love to be within the mid-160s.

After reading the discussion threads during the December exam timeframe and reading the threads now, there seems to be a general consensus that one should postpone if they're not scoring near their desired range. Does anyone have any advice for those of us that might be very close or just barely within their target?

My apologies if this has been touched on previously...

Many thanks!

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

@"whats the deal with aquaman" said:
    Hi everyone!

I've been studying with 7Sage since October while working full-time, going through the Core Curriculum lessons after work (spending about 3-4 hours per day). I started writing timed PTs in mid-December, and I've completed about 20 of them to date. My average score is 157, with my highest being 159. My target is 160, but of course I would love to be within the mid-160s.

After reading the discussion threads during the December exam timeframe and reading the threads now, there seems to be a general consensus that one should postpone if they're not scoring near their desired range. Does anyone have any advice for those of us that might be very close or just barely within their target?

My apologies if this has been touched on previously...

Many thanks!

Haha nice name, dude! Love it :)

What's your average PT score over those 20?

I think the jump from the 160s to the 165 range is all about fluency and proficiency with the test. What I mean by that is that at a 160 you basically have a decent handle on the basic stuff. There's still lots of room for improvement depending on your score breakdown, but essentially, you're pretty solid with the core tenets of the exam. I think to get that score to a mid-160s you need to push yourself to get solid with some of the more difficult tasks the LSAT asks of you. Basically the "easy" points are gone when you hit the 160s...

Some of these points can be achieved through strategies and techniques like skipping questions on LR or making sure you memorize and understand all the common flaws. Getting more consistent and solid at reading comp, for example, is a great way to boost your score into the mid-160s. It's also an often overlooked way to net some points since most people leave studying RC for last.

And if you're missing more than a couple games, you can always gain a few points just drilling those, which is what I've personally been spending a ton of time doing. You'd be surprised how quickly you can get good at games if you do them enough!

I also think at this point you should be getting more targeted with your studying and drilling. Every time you sit down for a study session really set out to practice a new skill or get better at something that's very specific and testable. Don't just keep taking tests without using the information the test is giving you. If you missed a hard flaw that dealt with numbers and percentages, do you have a strategy to ensure you'll get it next time? Have you tested that strategy out by drilling a bunch of those flaws?

All this is great advice if you decide to postpone and take in June. If you're planning on taking next week, I would work strictly on logic games and any apparent LR issues. I think that would be your best play to get you over the hump into the 160s.

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

From all that I have read in different places - one should take the test when they are scoring about 10 points ABOVE their target score. From what I understand, most people tend to score lower than their practice PTs so best to score above your score consistently and then take it.

Now, you can always take the test now and retake in June to show a consistent and nice increase (assuming you'll continue to study).

• xtinextinextinextine Member
    861 karma

I was in a very similar situation score and work-wise. My average was close to my target score but I was so set on applying this cycle that I sat for the December test even though in the back of my mind I knew I hadn't reached my full potential. Drum roll...I ended up scoring my average on the December test. rip.

It's always said that you should postpone if you're not ready...and I definitely agree! (lol hindsight 20/20?) Postponing can suck mentally (especially while working full time), but I knew better than to rush into the Feb. test this time around. My advice -- and I'm sure someone has said this in another post somewhere -- is that you shouldn't go into the test thinking you'll get lucky and score those extra couple of points. Obviously there are cases where people did score higher than their average, but...should you risk it?

I second what Alex said. I'm working on drilling LGs now and although I've just started, I can't believe I'm actually going -0 on games. I'm hoping that'll translate well into the 160s when I get back into PTing.

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

• LCMama2017LCMama2017 Alum Member
    2134 karma

@xtinextine said:

My advice -- and I'm sure someone has said this in another post somewhere -- is that you shouldn't go into the test thinking you'll get lucky and score those extra couple of points.

So true!!!

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. These are all valuable points worth taking account of.

I don't have any compelling reasons for rushing into the February exam (other than not wanting to study for another 4 months) since I won't be applying for the upcoming round anyway. I'm strongly considering deferring until June.

Much appreciated!

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

@LCMama2017 said:
    From all that I have read in different places - one should take the test when they are scoring about 10 points ABOVE their target score. From what I understand, most people tend to score lower than their practice PTs so best to score above your score consistently and then take it.

Now, you can always take the test now and retake in June to show a consistent and nice increase (assuming you'll continue to study).

That seems to be pushing it to the extreme. The margin of error on the test is 3 points. If you are scoring 10 points higher than your goal, it is time to set a new goal. Both times I took I ended up within my PT average's margin of error both times. The first time I was 1 point below and the second 3 times above. You could score higher or lower by more than 3 points by chance, but its unlikely.

If you score ten points lower on the actual test than your average I'm going to assume it is either severe anxiety or something went disastrously wrong on test day. If you don't have a dramatic history of test anxiety, the appropriate response to a score so much lower will be a retake.

If the OP takes now it is reasonable to expect a score anywhere from 154 to 160. Since his goal is a 160 or above, I would recommend either delaying or assuming he'll probably want to retake. But I wouldn't assume he'll get a 147.

• louise.jesselouise.jesse Alum Member
    61 karma

If it makes you feel any better, I wrote the same question on this forum about a week ago and I ended up withdrawing and postponing until June. I'm only about 3-5 points from my target, but I am not applying this cycle regardless so it just seemed like it was probably worth waiting.

This said, I really don't think there's any harm in taking it if you don't mind having two scores. The general consensus is postpone, but it's not going to seriously impact your applications if you have one lower score and want to the test now. But I doubt your score is magically going to go up by several points if you've never scored that high on a practice test (although this is of course possible)!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

If you're applying next cycle, one hundred percent delay until June. There's literally no downside. Ok, yes more studying sucks, but saving 50 grand or more does not suck!

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

Agreed. What also sucks is the regret of what if tried harder and got into my dream school

@tylerdschreur10 said:
    If you're applying next cycle, one hundred percent delay until June. There's literally no downside. Ok, yes more studying sucks, but saving 50 grand or more does not suck!

• tylerdschreur10tylerdschreur10 Alum Member
    1465 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:
    Agreed. What also sucks is the regret of what if tried harder and got into my dream school

@tylerdschreur10 said:

So true!

• Thanks for the input guys. June, here I come!