Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is February too late to apply or should I wait until the beginning of next Cyle?

ddavis_223ddavis_223 Free Trial Member

Hello all, I am hoping that someone could give me a little bit of insight here. I took the December LSAT and I do not plan on taking this test again! I have a 150 w/a 3.6 GPA. I have 2 degrees and a paralegal cert graduating with a 4.0 GPA. I graduated undergrad in 2012 and from the ABA paralegal program in 2016 so I know my GPA and school activities may not play that much of a factor. I have over 5 years of experience in the legal system. I have some pretty strong LORs. I want to apply this month to begin this fall. I am looking into Rutgers, Temple, and Drexel. I am concerned because I know my LSAT it not as highly competitive as some schools would like.

Basically my question is should I shoot for it and apply now or wait and apply this fall for next year when there are more seats available?

Any info helps...Thanks

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Thing is, as you've likely found out, they won't take your paralegal GPA into account, only your college GPA for your first time through undergrad. Good LORs are a plus, but Admissions is mostly interested in GPA and LSAT because of US News. Rutgers is more competitive than Temple and Drexel. What if you retook and signed up for a course here? It's likely you can improve your score through some more work on the exam.

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    edited February 2018 23929 karma

You really should be retaking the LSAT because your LSAT is a bit on the low side for those schools. Each of those schools have LSAT 25%tiles around the 155 range. So, even if you get in, you'd be paying sticker for these schools ($250k+) and attending these schools at sticker, or even close to it, is an objectively bad financial decision. At the average interest rate, you would end up paying over $1500 a month for the next 25 years. If you don't have a credible path toward paying that sum of money back, you could potentially be destroying your financial future by attending those schools at sticker. All that to say, don't sell yourself short. Retaking this test could likely net you a quarter million dollars.

You should sit out a cycle and prep until you can hit at least a 155 on the LSAT. It's likely only a matter of learning some solid strategies for games and LR question types. Take again in June/July/September and then apply early next cycle, and I know if you can hit a 150 that you're capable of a 155. If you can get a 160+ you would be looking at full rides to these schools. That means if you study another 500 hours to hit a 160, you'd be potentially earning $500 per hour. That's an opportunity few ever have in their lives!

• ddavis_223ddavis_223 Free Trial Member
    28 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:
    You really should be retaking the LSAT because your LSAT is a bit on the low side for those schools. Each of those schools have LSAT 25%tiles around the 155 range. So, even if you get in, you'd be paying sticker for these schools ($250k+) and attending these schools at sticker, or even close to it, is an objectively bad financial decision. At the average interest rate, you would end up paying over $1500 a month for the next 25 years. All that to say, don't sell yourself short.

You should sit out a cycle and prep until you can hit at least a 155 on the LSAT. It's likely only a matter of learning some solid strategies for games and LR question types. Take again in June/July/September and then apply early next cycle, and I know if you can hit a 150 that you're capable of a 155. If you can get a 160+ you would be looking a full rides to these schools. That means if you study another 500 hours to hit a 160, you'd be potentially earning $500 per hour. That's an opportunity few ever have in their lives!

My main concern is that I already have 3 LSAT scores on my report and of course 150 is my highest. If I take in June I am afraid it won't look good on my application that I have 4 LSAT scores. Although they look at the highest score those scores are still visible.

28 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Thing is, as you've likely found out, they won't take your paralegal GPA into account, only your college GPA for your first time through undergrad. Good LORs are a plus, but Admissions is mostly interested in GPA and LSAT because of US News. Rutgers is more competitive than Temple and Drexel. What if you retook and signed up for a course here? It's likely you can improve your score through some more work on the exam.

I have taken this test so many times I am not sure if I honestly have it in me to take it again and with that attitude I don't think I can positively improve my score. I know my scores are a long shot I just wanted another opinion. Thanks

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:
    You really should be retaking the LSAT because your LSAT is a bit on the low side for those schools. Each of those schools have LSAT 25%tiles around the 155 range. So, even if you get in, you'd be paying sticker for these schools ($250k+) and attending these schools at sticker, or even close to it, is an objectively bad financial decision. At the average interest rate, you would end up paying over $1500 a month for the next 25 years. All that to say, don't sell yourself short.

You should sit out a cycle and prep until you can hit at least a 155 on the LSAT. It's likely only a matter of learning some solid strategies for games and LR question types. Take again in June/July/September and then apply early next cycle, and I know if you can hit a 150 that you're capable of a 155. If you can get a 160+ you would be looking a full rides to these schools. That means if you study another 500 hours to hit a 160, you'd be potentially earning $500 per hour. That's an opportunity few ever have in their lives!

My main concern is that I already have 3 LSAT scores on my report and of course 150 is my highest. If I take in June I am afraid it won't look good on my application that I have 4 LSAT scores. Although they look at the highest score those scores are still visible.

Listen, it probably doesn't help having 3 other lower LSAT scores on your record. But no matter what, a 160 with 3 scores in the 140s/150s is infinitely better than just the 3 scores in the 140s/150s. Moreover, I think it's pretty solid now to assume law schools really only care about your highest score. So don't worry about the scores already on your record.

If you're sitting on a 150, you need to retake.

28 karma

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Listen, it probably doesn't help having 3 other lower LSAT scores on your record. But no matter what, a 160 with 3 scores in the 140s/150s is infinitely better than just the 3 scores in the 140s/150s. Moreover, I think it's pretty solid now to assume law schools really only care about your highest score. So don't worry about the scores already on your record.

Noted! Thanks for the advice.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Yes @"Alex Divine" is right. I do have 5 scores one file, one being the highest out of all of them. So far I have been performing as well my highest score would suggest in my cycle.

• mgzero2mgzero2 Alum Member
    edited February 2018 86 karma

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Yes @"Alex Divine" is right. I do have 5 scores one file, one being the highest out of all of them. So far I have been performing as well my highest score would suggest in my cycle.

Did you apply to any T13-15 schools? I thought a third score would be bad for me, but if they don't care I might as well retake this test and even try next cycle if I'm unhappy with this cycle's results.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I think this information would be relevant to a lot of us.

As for the OP I think Alex's advice is sound. I think he covered it well why you should attempt for a higher score.

• westcoastbestcoastwestcoastbestcoast Alum Member
    3788 karma

@mgzero2 Yes i did. They are reaches for me but I have seen cases here on 7sage and on toplawschools forum where people have performed on the basis of their highest score after 3 takes or more and gained acceptances to t13 schools. Schools don't average but thats not to say you should just retake for the sake of it without a solid plan to do things differently.

@mgzero2 said:

@westcoastbestcoast said:

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

@ddavis_223 said:

@"Alex Divine" said:

Did you apply to any T13-15 schools? I thought a third score would be bad for me, but if they don't care I might as well retake this test and even try next cycle if I'm unhappy with this cycle's results.

Not trying to hijack this thread but I think this information would be relevant to a lot of us.

As for the OP I think Alex's advice is sound. I think he covered it well why you should attempt for a higher score.